The beginning

Clara's POV

"How many times do I have to remind you that scrolling on your phone is not something that can help you to have a secure future. Get up and do something productive!" My mom shouted and snatched the phone from my hands.

I knew she was going to be angry as I was scrolling my phone for almost two hours.

"Aren't you already happy that I am going to leave this country? Atleast let me watch my phone for sometimes. Who knows will you ever recharge my phone again after leaving India." Oh shit ! I was basically giving my mom more ideas to torture me.

"You are right. I will not recharge your phone again. Otherwise, you will keep scrolling on your phone. Since your recharge is going to finish soon, be prepared to live without the internet. I will also tell your dad that he shouldn't recharge your phone." My mom said angrily.

I felt like crying when my mom said that but I controlled my tears. I hate crying infront of my mom.

**********************************
Monday, at LA international Airport.

After we landed on the airport, I saw my dad standing there. He went straight to us and hugged me and smiled at my mom. I was not that much happy to see my dad. So I didn't smile at him.

"How are you Clara? Are you excited to live with me? I bought alot of books for you to read." My dad asked me while smiling.

"I am fine. But wait, I have to live with you? " I asked my dad.

"Ofcourse, for one month. Then the school will start and you will live there at the girls' hostel." my dad said while smiling.

My mom looked at both of us and said, "You guys can call me once you will reach home."

"Wait, mom, Aren't you coming with us?" I asked my mom. Apparently I was so clueless about the whole thing.

" I have some work to do sweetheart. You know my boss doesn't allow me to go on vacations that much. So I need to leave. Also I have so many urgent meetings coming up. So I just came here to drop you off. My next flight will be after five hours. So I will stay at the nearest hotel from the airport. But you have to go with your dad because his house is far from here. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy your life in LA and Pratap, if you need anything call me ok? " my mom said.

"Dont worry Priya, I will take care of her. " my dad said smiling.

After that my mom hugged me and said , "I love you so much Clara, So thats why it's necessary for you to understand that whatever I am doing will be good for you."

And with that, my mom left.

I didn't want to talk to her at all. I felt awful. No wonder she didn't packed her luggage and I didn't even notice. I was basically left alone with my dad.

My dad started picking up my luggage to the car and called me and ofcourse,
I went with him.

************************************
After living with my dad for one month in LA, I realized that living with my dad for a long time could be really boring.
But his house is quite nice. I didn't know about this house before coming to LA this year. Everything in this house seemed new, even the furniture.

My dad said that he brought this house previous year but kept it secret for me to surprise me.

"Clara, come downstairs and eat the breakfast. We have to leave today for school. " my dad called me.

I took a deep breath. My anxiety was going crazy. Living with my dad was already awkward. As we didn't have that much conversation. But going to ISLA? I had no idea how to deal with that much pressure.

After wearing my school uniform, I came downstairs and had breakfast with my dad. He was reading a news in his laptop so he didn't talk to me. After finishing the breakfast we went towards the car with my luggage.

"Clara, can you give me your 10th class report card? I have to show it to the principal" my dad asked me.

"Ok dad" I said and gave him my report card.

After that my dad drove us to the school . It was one hour long ride and the drive was silent. I was watching the road and the buildings from the car window because I felt bored.

After that we finally reached to ISLA.

I was shocked to see how big the school actually was as there were three big buildings

I was shocked to see how big the school actually was as there were three big buildings. We entered from the main gate and then my dad stopped our car at the parking lot.

A security guard came and opened the door for us. Then I saw an young woman and another old man standing infront of us.

The woman smiled at me and then at my dad. She had dark brown hair and she was wearing a red coat over a white shirt and a red pencil skirt.

"Hi Clara, Welcome to ISLA. My name is Rose. I am the principal of ISLA. " She said while looking at me.

I gave her a slight smile.

"Mr. Pratap, you have her 10th class report card with you right? I know you have already sent us the photos of it. But we still need the hardcopy." Miss Rose asked my dad.

"Yes, I have it right now with me." my dad said while giving it to miss Rose.

I started getting anxious again. I knew my dad had sent them the photos of the report card. But still it was a big deal for me. I was always an average and sometimes even the below average student. So my grades were not that great. Infact, my mom didn't talk to me properly for one week after she got to know my result.

"Great, shall we go to my office now?"
Miss Rose said, "Clara, you can go with Mr David. He will show you the whole school and then Mrs. Marry will take you to your dorm room. She is the caretaker of the girls' hostel."

I watched my dad leaving with miss Rose.

I was definitely not excited to have a school tour. But I had to go with Mr David. At first Mr. David took me to the huge playground of the school where I saw some students playing football and then he took me to the basketball court and then to the canteens. Each floor in this school had a Canteen. But the biggest canteen was in the ground floor. Then I saw the libraries. There were total four libraries. Then he took me to the classrooms but most of them were empty and some of the students were chatting in the main hall room.

"Today is actually the admission day and you came here early so there are not many students here. You will only meet the students who live here in hostels today. But tomorrow the school will start and you will get to meet a lot of students." Mr David said, while smiling at me.

I nodded and smiled at him too. As I was having the school tour some girls and boys stared at me curiously while some completely ignored me.

After that, Mr David took me to the girls hostel which was pretty big and not so far from the main building. All three buildings were pretty close to each other. I assumed that the third building was probably the boys hostel.

***********************************