𝐨𝐧𝐞

        It was Friday night, and I was excited to hang out with Gemini

        It was Friday night, and I was excited to hang out with Gemini. We met every few weeks, our one night free from busy schedules. I had school, and he had his own thing, but Friday nights were ours. 

We hadn't hung out as much since he got in the game; a few Friday nights had been missed, but I wasn't complaining. I was just happy to be spending time with him again. I stood in my bathroom, hairbrush in hand, trying to tame my hair.

After a few strokes, I put the brush down and ran my fingers through it, giving myself a final look in the mirror. I turned off the bathroom light, grabbed my phone, and headed to my drawer for my favorite vanilla perfume. I sprayed it all over, feeling the scent on me.

    Jodeci's "Cry for You" filled the living room as I left my room, blasting from the TV. My dad was forcing my sister, Isis, to dance with him, singing along to the lyrics.  "I can't live without you, so I'll cry for you" he sang out, his voice full as if someone had hurt him.

    "Sorry that I want you, lady, what do I do?" he sang again, holding on to Isis, who mouthed "help me" over his shoulder. I stood there laughing at the two of them - this was a typical night in the Henderson household.

My dad loved his old-school music and he made sure we knew of it. "Solem, come join us!"  he called out, rocking Isis back and forth, who looked like she just wanted to sit down. "Dad, please let me go"  Isis begged, and he finally released her.

"God, send me some new daughters, please! They don't want to kick it and sing with their pops no more" he joked.

    As he continued to sing along, Isis sat on the couch, scrolling through her phone, while I stood there, entertained by his performance. My dad was dramatic when it came to his music. He didn't play around; he'd even start arguments over it.

     When the song finally ended, he paused the TV, huffing and puffing as if he'd just run a marathon. "Man, they don't make songs like this anymore I tell you" he declared, grabbing his water bottle and taking a sip.

I tried not to burst out laughing at how he was acting, "Dad now I know you're not huffing and puffing over that little two-step you just did"

"Girl, hush up, I done told y'all I'm getting old"  he then collapsed onto the couch. Me and Isis exchanged a look - see what I mean by dramatic?

He swore he was getting old, but he was barely pushing sixty. Just as I was about to say something to him, a knock at the door interrupted me. Isis jumped up, knowing exactly who it was. "Gemini!" she exclaimed, opening the door.

He hugged her, saying "Wassup, Ice?" - his nickname for her. He had a bag in one arm, but still managed to hug her with the other.

  He set the bags on the counter, and my dad and Isis gathered around. I stood there, I couldn't even greet him in peace. My dad opened the bag and saw the Lil Baby rap snacks. "Where did you find these?" he asked

"Man at this lil corner store. I saw them and I was like I gotta get 'em for Mike's ass." My dad gave Gemini a dap, saying, "You always thinking bout somebody else, no wonder my daughter likes you, how you been G?"

    Gemini chuckled at the comment, replying, "Just hanging in there for real, you know street life shit."

My dad knew all about the street life - he'd been in it himself, once. So he knew exactly what Gemini meant. 

Gemini then turned to Isis, "Isis, I got you them lil oatmeal shits you like" he said as he handed her the oatmeal cream pies, which was her favorite snack.

"Thank you" she said, taking the box and opening it.

"You're welcome I don't know why you like these nasty things in the first place" he scrunched up his face as she took a bite.

   He then turned to me, his eyes making me freeze. It was an uncomfortable, yet nice, feeling. He always looked at me like that, and I'd get shy every time.

"Why you ain't say nothing?" he asked, and I shrugged. "Yall three were having a moment, didn't want to ruin it."

   He nodded, "Nah that's my bad actually, you ready to go?"

I nodded, grabbed my bag and phone, and headed for the door. My dad chuckled, "Damn, she ready to leave you already"

Gemini laughed "Man i know right"  hurrying to catch up with me. Standing by the open door, my dad gave me his usual lecture: "Stay safe, text me, and let me know you're good, don't get in no trouble."

  I rolled my eyes "Yeah, yeah, I got it, Dad. Text you, be safe, don't get into no trouble mhm." 

He chuckled, then turned serious, "Solem, I'm dead-ass"

I nodded, "Alright, Dad okay." He then wrapped his arm around my neck and said "I love you" kissing my cheek and forehead multiple times.

"Okay, Mike, get off me"  I laughed, using his real name. Gemini was laughing too. "I love you too, Dad" I said, as we stepped off the porch and headed to Gemini's car.

working on the next chapters as we speak lol but it's in parts so you'll see this is just the start

working on the next chapters as we speak lol but it's in parts so you'll see this is just the start. might put the next chap out tomorrow. excuse any mistakes.