𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙔 𝙏𝙒𝙊

PAIGE BUECKERS

When did I realise that I liked Kaia Jacobs?

I remember as if it was yesterday. I had always had an attraction to her, I've always thought she was beautiful.

But there was this distinct moment in our friendship that head lead me to believe maybe it wasn't just attraction anymore.

It was during Freshman year, we were at the beach watching the sunset. Sitting on a blanket as we ate our usual meal when we hung out—mcdonald's. There was this moment where we stood right at the shoreline. Feet dipped into the cold essence of the water, ignoring the piercing touch of the waves as it dragged in and out from the sand.

Kaia was looking out towards the horizon, a vague smile on her lips as she admired the sun slowly setting just off the sea. Hiding its beams beneath the waves as they slowly pushed out into ripples. The only sounds surrounding were those of seagulls and the faint sounds of the water as it sunk into the sand.

Though as she stood there, admiring the beauty of the sights in front of her. I was looking at her. The delicacy in her soft features, how her eyebrows crinkled slightly and her lips agape as she sighed so utterly charmed by the whispers of the ocean.

The sky above reflecting its pink and purple hues onto her tanned skin. Her eyes gleaming with the sunlight that slowly faded under the clouds. Her hair moving behind her as the wind picked up small drafts. Her hair was slightly wavy that day, she had previously unwrapped it from the braids she always used to wear. I loved it when it was crimped into waves like that.

She wore a grey Uconn hoodie with black track pants rolled just above her ankles to prevent them from getting wet. She was playing with the drawstrings of her hoodie as her teeth latched onto her bottom lip so engrossed by the sun, the waves, the sand.

Whilst I was entranced by her. Nothing in front of us then compared to how beautiful she was, how beautiful she is.

It hit me that day that I was completely and totally crushing on my best friend.

My plan for our date was to somehow recreate that moment. To rekindle memories that may be lost in her mind.

I sat on the edge of my bed, reopening the present I had meant to give her weeks ago. But I wanted to make it special for her. To wait for the right time, when things weren't stressful.

I read over the card I had written her. Over and over again my eyes traced each letter with such precision. Ensuring that no letter was displaced or misspelt. It needed to be perfect for her. I quickly folded it back into the present bag, tucking it away under my desk before quickly grabbing my keys.

"Where are you going?" Kk sat on the end of the couch, pausing her match of 2k against Azzi who turned to her puzzled.

"I'm hanging out with Kaia." I reply shortly, tying my laces as they continue to stare at me with witty smirks.

"Sure... just 'hanging out'." Azzi flicks her brows at me teasingly. Uncrossing her legs, leaning forwards as she passes me the dorm keys.

"What's going on between y'all for real though?" Kk stuck her tongue out from her lips, winking. I roll my eyes playfully in reply. Bidding goodbye to the two girls as the door comes to an abrupt close.

I didn't mind not knowing what Kaia and I were. Just as long as we were something more than friends. I had planned to be more, but I didn't mind going at any pace she needed. For the moment, all I knew was that we agreed to keep whatever this is, a secret.