Vines of Fate

As if it was Fate themselves sending him in the right direction, Hades had the chance to meet with the Mother Earth, and his own great-grandmother, Gaia. It was a pleasant encounter and Gaia listened to the King of the Underworld's woes. She tapped her chin in recognition. "I see... so you've fallen in love with the young Goddess Persephone." She released a chuckle, making Hades raise an eyebrow. "I just find that adorable. I mean, the cold-hearted God of the Underworld has fallen in love with a maiden as beautiful as spring itself..."

Hades turned his gaze among the flowers of Gaia's domain. Whenever he looked at them, he could only see Persephone's face. He could only think how these flowers could not compare to Persephone's beauty. Everything in his mind, it was all clouded by thoughts of Persephone. He couldn't get enough of her. But inside his mind, there was also fear.

Gaia noticed his shifting expressions and pondered, "Are you worried?" She poured the God some tea. "I understand. You're worried that, like everything else in your life, you will mess it up and she will grow to hate you. It's never fun to be hated by someone you love dearly." She swirled tea with a downcast expression. Before Hades could reply, she spoke again. "But there's always a reason for everything. You meeting Persephone wasn't chance. It was set by the Fates. So, I don't think worrying is going to do anything when the Fates have set your life in motion when they have ignored you for a while."

Hades furrowed his eyebrows, thinking to himself. If the Fates waited so long for this moment, who was he to reject such an opportunity? If he didn't take this chance, he would never get another one. At least not one like this. And Hades, he had never longed for a woman the way he longed for Persephone. He needed to take the only thing he's ever wanted. Gathering up some courage, he spoke. "Miss Gaia, if I may ask you for something... can you help me?"

Gaia closed her eyes, but her smile was still apparent. "I was waiting for you to ask. I'm no Aphrodite, however I am no stranger to love." She stood up, taking gentle strides towards a flowerbed. She picked up a Myosotis, and walked back to Hades, standing behind him. She put the blue flower in front of him. "I hear Persephone is a big fan of these. Tell me, what is this flower?"

"Forget-me-nots." Hades spoke, hovering his hand over the blue plant. However, he hesitated when moving his hand lower down, scared if he touched the flower, it would wither at his touch. "They mean true love. No matter in death, one will never forget the true love they shared."

Gaia smiled and placed the flower in Hades' hair. Hades shivered, shutting his eyes. But he didn't feel anything. There was no withering. No pain. So he opened his eyes to see the blue flower blooming in his long, dark hair. "You see? This flower is forever. That's why Persephone likes the flower so much. Because no matter in what conditions, whether it's hot, cold, or otherwise, it will never wither or fade. This flower is like Persephone is to you, right? Or what you want Persephone to be to you?"

Hades didn't speak, he just simply breathed out a cold sigh and nodded his head. Gaia smiled contently, as if she had achieved what she wanted, and she took some steps back. "You are no God of Death, Hades. I think it's your own fear that's holding you back. But don't worry. You are my child, as is Persephone, and I never go back on my word."

Hades turned his head back to see the Goddess of the Earth smile at him. "So let's go get you that darling Goddess of yours."

Hearing these words, Hades' eyes grew more ecstatic and vibrant. With Gaia's help, there was no way he could fail. He hoped he wouldn't, because he couldn't afford to fail. If he did... well, he hoped it wouldn't come to that.

And so the two set up a plan to lure Persephone into Hades' arms. As the young maiden walked, picking whatever flowers she saw in her sights, her eyes fell on a nice blue flower. Excitedly, she walked towards it and picked it. Then she saw another. And another. Today was her lucky day. "Wow, so many forget-me-nots! I am one lucky girl today!" She hummed along as she picked more and more flowers.

Winds started blowing as the young Persephone continued on picking the blue flowers, and placing them in her basket made of straw. It was getting so full, she might have to get another one to fit more flowers into it. As she bent down to pick the final forget-me-not, a vine that was by her feet made her trip. She closed her eyes and braced for impact, but the impact never came.

The young maiden slowly opened her eyes to see herself in the hands of a gray-skinned man, his long black hair moving along with the wind. The goddess stared up at him, her feet no longer on gentle blades of grass, but on the hardness of a chariot. She stared into his cold, silver eyes, his skin as he held onto her being as cold as metal. Her eyes faltered, her vision growing blurry, and before Hades could even utter a single word, Persephone had passed out in his arms.

Although Hades' face showed no sign of any emotion, Hades' normally stone-cold heart was pounding in his chest. He couldn't believe he was touching the beautiful, sweet flower before him. Her skin was soft and gentle, easily breakable—one wrong move, and he could destroy her. His fear was overtaking him. He didn't want to hurt Persephone. More than anything, he wanted her to feel safe and loved. Then he thought back to Gaia's words, and once he did so, he breathed in a sigh and his chariot made its descent within the earth.

No one was around to see this kidnapping happen as Gaia had made sure to lead Persephone away from the other gods. However, in the forest around them, a shadow shook. The shadow stayed for some time before dispersing. This scene was witnessed by someone. But who was there to witness the vines of Fate intertwining? And what could they do to stop what had already been set in motion?