Chapter 29 - Departure

It was day three of post Evergreen Packs function that Luna Olwen awoke feeling warmer than ever before. Landon had left a few hours earlier to oversee some patrols, and she had her own procedures to overlook. But as Olwen tried to move out of bed, the heat became even more unbearable, and she found herself having to calm down by inhaling what was left of her mate's scent in his pillows.

She immediately knew what it was.

Landon...I'm in my heat. She mind-linked him.

Less than a few seconds later, Alpha Landon's voice came through.

Stay in bed, I'm on my way back. I'll tell Beta Elijah and Delta Cassidy to take over our duties for the day. Don't come out.

Olwen obeyed and stayed in their shared bed, her skin prickling and the tension in her body slowly rising with each passing moment. Opal was whining inside her, impatient for the Alpha to come back and tend to their needs.

She'd heard of a heat before, and the descriptions she'd heard of it did no justice. She eventually had to kick her blanket off the bed because of how unbearably hot she was becoming, resorting to pulling out a number of Landon's clothes and lying in them like a nest. She felt as though if she didn't find and bed Alpha Landon right now, she would literally die.

She fortunately didn't have to wait for long before she heard the sound of the door opening and then shutting and locking outside in quick succession, before the scent of rain and forest burst through the door again.

As Alpha Landon climbed onto the bed and leaned over her however, his face looked more agitated than usual. Olwen frowned in concern.

"Landon...are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He muttered, the agitation morphing into something bordering on possessiveness as his eyes focused on hers. "I just...want to be with you."

His lips pressed against hers and Olwen briefly forgot about that look.

It was only several hours later, when they were both covered in sweat and catching their breath that Landon, with Olwen curled up against him, spoke in a quiet voice.

"...Are you aware that Aaron was across the road from our home?"

Olwen's blood ran cold as she shifted to look up at her mate in disbelief.

"...Are you serious?"

Landon nodded, that grim expression returning to his face again.

"As I was on my way here, I saw him leaning against a lamppost. His gaze was fixed on our house."

A shiver of disgust went up Olwen's spine.

"Did he...speak to you?"

"He tried." Landon snorted, leaning back against the headboard and crossing his arms. "He wanted to ask where you were because he hadn't seen you in a while. I cut him off and told him it was none of his business."

Olwen heaved a quiet sigh of relief, but the thought of her ex-mate possibly still watching her from a distance gnawed at her.

"...Could he still be there?"

Landon shook his head, pulling Olwen protectively into his arms.

"I warned him to stay away from you, so I think he left. I've mindlinked the others just in case though."

Olwen relaxed slightly at this, running a hand through her mate's blonde hair.

"...Thank you."

"You are aware that Aaron has constantly been following you, right?" Landon asked quietly, his eyes resting on hers with concern. Olwen met his gaze and nodded slowly.