Just A Bad Dream...

“Wake up”

She was starring out the window by the time I sat up.

“What’s wrong?”

Confusion was the only thing I felt. There was no way for me to explain it to her. I was still trying to figure it out on my own.

“Nothing… Just thinking”

It bothered me to think that it hadn’t happened, both the phone call and the owl. Maybe it really was all in my head. Maybe I had just dreamt it all along. It was all too real for me to doubt. It was quiet for a long time. There was something off about her. She was never this serious. It was starting to worry me.

“What are you starring a…”

I couldn’t believe it. I could feel my heart racing faster and faster. This time, I knew it wasn’t a dream. The owl was back in its same place as before.

“V… I’m scared”

I closed my eyes and put my arms around her in hopes of comforting her fears.

“Don’t worry… I’ll protect you”

That didn’t seem to help at all. I could feel something dripping from her neck. I knew right away something wasn’t right.

The thick smell of iron filled the room, making it nearly impossible to breathe. The red, warm liquid covered my hands. There was blood splattered everywhere like some sort of bad horror scene in a movie.

What the hell?

She quickly pushed me off and fell to the floor. With one hand on the wound, she struggled to move her body towards the door. It seemed she was trying to get away from something. I had never seen such fear. That’s when I realized the knife in my hand.

“NADIA…NADIA”

It somehow made me happy to see her in such pain. After all, she was always the one everyone loved. She was the perfect child. I remember Kara’s friend commenting on how lovely her dress was and how dirty and horrible I looked. I had tripped and fallen in a puddle of mud earlier that day. It wasn’t my fault I was so clumsy back then. I was only a child. Her lifeless body lay on the floor. There was no hope for her now.

Goodbye

I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. She was cold. The owl was nowhere in sight. Nothing but the sunset, gazing back at me. There was nothing calm or beautiful about it. That’s when I realized I wasn’t the only one in the room after all. Her hand tightened around my neck. I knew what she was going to do next.

“I thought you were dead”

The cold knife against my skin sent a shiver down my spine. I could feel the pumping liquid gushing out.

Wake up” she whispered.

My eyes shot open as i gasped for air. I could hear someone calling out for help. It was Kara. There were tears in her eyes as I turned away.

"Nadia"

It was the only thing I heard come out of my mouth. My body fell back into the bed, as I closed my eyes again. That's when I realized everything I had just experience was nothing but a bad dream.