Chapter 2

The Dragon's P.O.V.

   "Will you just SHUT UP!" I roar. But all Princess Maylis did was scream an even shriller, earsplitting cry.

'Right, I forgot. All she can hear from my roar is probably a series of growls and snarls.'

   As I'm still flying trying to tune out Princess Maylis I pass by the charred portion of the Infini forest an indication telling me that we're not too far from the lair. I can still hear the screams and smell the burning of flesh. A memory I strive to forget.

   I finally reach the lair by the time the sun started to hide behind the vast rolling high hills. I enter the gaping hole in the side of the towering cliffs.

   I set down Princess Maylis but she attempts to escape. I stick out my tail to stop her right in time before she could take another step and become just a pile of bones and flesh.

   After Princess Maylis eventually ceases her blubbering, she realized what could have happened and squeaked out a "Thank you."

   "So why did you capture me?" she asks.

'Ooh, that reminds me. I'm going to have to find that bag to even continue this conversation!'

   I can feel Princess Maylis' enquiring gaze "What are you looking for?"

'Aha, I found it!'

   I rummage through and consume some of the powder from inside of the bag.

   "Ah, it's better to be completely understood than having to hear someone scream in terror," I say as I smack my gums struggling to get this wretched taste out of my mouth.

   I spot Princess Maylis and discover that she has such a frightened expression.

   "What? Didn't think I could talk did you? Then why did you ask those questions in the first place?" I ask cleverly.

   "I...I thought you would simply show me something not actually talk back to me!" she shrieks and begins to stagger into the expanse of the lair. She stumbles on top of the fire pit and utters a small "Ow!"

   Princess Maylis stands up and brushes herself off.

   "Step aside, Princess Maylis," I then release an accumulation of fire and smoke onto the remaining kindling in the fire pit. It lights up every nook and cranny of the cavernous lair.

   "Good, there is warmth and illumination so you can't possibly trip as long as you watch out," I remark mockingly.

   Princess Maylis lets out a slight huff, plops herself down near the fire to warm up, and apprehensively asks "Why did you even capture me? Where are we? Who are you? How can you talk?"

   I lay down surrounding the fire pit and Princess Maylis with my body making sure to cover the entrance to the lair. "Wow, so many questions! Please don't ask all at once, Princess Maylis. But I will answer. One, for vengeance; Two, my lair, located past the high hills and the Infini forest; Three, my name, Incendie; lastly, because of a wizard."

   "Okay, Incendie. You said something about vengeance. What are you going to do to me?" Princess Maylis asks fearfully.

   "Nothing. You're only a prisoner. Now there's an assortment of fruits and vegetables in that basket. Eat something. You must be famished."

   Princess Maylis grabs an apple, wipes it with her sleeve, and bites into it. "I think you said 'because of a wizard' is how you can talk. Is that true?"

   "Yes, why do you ask, Princess Maylis?"

   "I was wondering why he would give you the ability to speak like a human."

   "We're old friends, him and me."

   "Oh, so did you capture me for a spell of his? Am I just part of an old favor of yours?" she asks accusingly.

   "No, no, settle down Princess. I said for vengeance, remember?" I say with a chuckle.

   "Vengeance for whom? And when are you going to let me go?" Princess Maylis asks.

   I respond with, "As soon as I get my amulet back."