(Edited) Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Scarlett

I adjust the strap of my school bag before heading towards my locker. The day started off badly today. Apparently my alarm clock forgot to ring, and the only reason I even woke up was because my mum barged into my room an hour later, shouting that I was late for school. I went through a quick shower, put on a decent outfit and rushed downstairs to grab some toast. I almost missed the school bus.

On the way to my class, I realize my books are missing. I realize I forgot to stuff them in my bag once I was done with my homework. Just great!

Feeling morose because everything is going so unexpectedly today, I head towards class. I plop down on the only remaining seat left in the class. The teacher strolls in a minute later. I sigh, relieved. I made it just in time! I glance at the person sitting on my right, and immediately stiffen.

It's officially proven-this is one of the bad days. The kind of days where nothing goes your way. The days where you look like crap, and feel like crap too, where everything's wrong. This is one of those days, and I'm not at all excited.

My eyes flit over Aiden for a second before I look away, reminding myself that we're not talking. I could say I'm sorry for yesterday, except I'm not sorry. I don't utter a single syllable to acknowledge his presence. It's agonizing. Sitting right next to him like this, our bodies almost touching, and not even glancing at each other-it's torturous. He doesn't do anything to improve the situation either, and so we continue to ignore each other.

The first period seems to drag on for hours, or so it seems. I let out a long, tired yawn once the class gets over. I stepped out of the class, sighing. This day is already off to a bad start, how much worse will it get?

The next couple of periods pass by in a blur. And by the time lunch break rolls in, I'm yawning like crazy. This day has been absolutely eventless.

I walk towards my locker-alone. Usually Sharon accompanies me But the teacher made her wait after class today because she hadn't submitted the homework assignment we were supposed to.

I suddenly stop. My eyes widen, and my heart races in my chest. What the hell is he doing here?! Aiden Walkers is leaning against my locker, texting away on his phone. I frown. This is not good.

What am I supposed to do? We're not talking. Doesn't he know that's my locker he's standing against? How do I tell him to move away?

I decide to not stop by the lockers at all. I can grab my books after lunch gets over, when Aiden isn't anywhere in sight.

It happens as I'm passing by my locker. It takes him less than a second to realize I'm not stopping by. He quickly steps in front of me, blocking my path. I freeze. What is he up to? I look up at him, confusion fresh on my face, and am shocked to see his familiar smile.

He's smiling at me! What even...

"Uh...hey," I mumble, feeling awkward. After ignoring each other the whole morning, we're finally conversing. It feels so strange.

"Let me get those," he says and grabs my books. "They must be heavy."

I stare at him, my mouth hanging open, standing motionless. He doesn't wait for me to respond, and takes my books. "Uh...thanks," I mumble. I open up my lockers and take the books from Aiden, putting them inside.

"Aren't you hungry? C'mon lets go eat," he says and takes my hand in his. I'm so shocked that I forget to breathe.

What the fuck is going on?! Is he bipolar?