Chapter 5: The Plan

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." ~ Andrew Grant

- - -

My cuts are all stitched and the blood is being wiped out of my eyes carefully, when the blood-stained tissue is finally taken away I'm hesitant to open my eyes. I don't really know if I want to see the face of Maria, my attacker.

I take a deep breath before slowly opening my eyes, letting them adjust weakly to the white lamps that illuminate the cramped room. I gasp at the young teenage girl in front of me, stood there with a cruel smirk tugging at her lips. She has dyed red hair that tumbles past her shoulders in differently shaded curls and messy ringlets, framing her face in a fiery blaze. Her dangerously charming, emerald eyes are outlined by eyeliner and mascara and her lips are painted red also, her complexion is ashen and pale- almost porcelain.

Her frame is tall and thin which she holds in a sure and confident posture, her arms crossed over her stomach. She wears a deep purple tank top with images depicting a horde of zombies in blood-red ink printed across the chest. Tasteful. She finishes off the outfit with black skinny jeans, violet combat boots, a leather jacket and leather fingerless gloves. Her outfit somewhat rebelliously cliché. 

She smiles down at me cruelly and extends a pale hand, I look up at her and she raises an eyebrow, daring me to take her palm.

"The point of me giving you my hand is that you take it idiot!" she snaps sarcastically. I grab it cautiously and she pulls me up to my shaky feet, "Right now that's out the way we'll get along just fine," she says cheerfully and I gape at her before I shake my head and squeeze my eyes shut. I grind my teeth together but finally shake her outstretched hand, tightening my grasp just a little more than usual.

"Madeline Taylor," I say strongly, narrowing my eyes at her petite but lethal form.

"Maria Williams," she speaks spitefully and she smirks even wider.

I just nod my head and take in her words, I wish Toby had told me he had a sister. It would definitely make things less awkward now. I take in her stance and gather a few thoughts about Maria, she's definitely strong, both mentally and physically. She's selfish but loyal to family, she has skills- clearly, after punching me so hard and obviously has a sick sense of humour.

Great, I decide, just what the group needs. 

I see her assessing me as well and she purses her lips before speaking, her red lipstick vivid against her pale skin. 

"You're protective, you're loyal but get caught up in the mayhem, you love your family, your a fighter, not a shield and your body says your stronger physically rather than mentally," she says and finishes assessing me before walking out of the room, I guess observant is another word to add to the list I'm using to figure Maria out. I sigh in disbelief and follow the others through to the kitchen where Toby announces that dinner is ready.

The apocalypse has been going on for what seems like an eternity and I think we should really consider becoming more self-reliant, were all eating dinner now so I guess this is a good time to bring it up. Eventually, food will run out and other supplies will become low- we can't rely on raiding shops and houses forever.

"Guys I was thinking that maybe we should consider maybe relying on ourselves a bit more," I suggest whilst shovelling a forkful of beans into my mouth. "Food is going to run out eventually, we need to be prepared for that." A few of them nod before Soph looks up to meet my gaze, her eyes intrigued and caring. 

"So how would we do that?" she asks. I think about this for a moment, it's a plan we all need to work out clearly. 

"Look we have the cure but not enough of it, we need to start producing more. So what I'm saying is we find an old warehouse, or somewhere secure, where we can start a production line if you will. This has to have accommodation, storage, protection and a garden and a flat roof."

They all nod their heads apart from Maria who chuckles sarcastically, chucking down her cutlery and leaning back in her chair- her arms folded across her chest.

"Obviously we need a roof! But why a garden?" she smirks and raises her eyebrows.

I look at her for a brief moment due to the bluntness of her words before replying, shaking my head lightly.

"Actually I was thinking of putting solar panels on the roof to power any machines and as for the garden, I think we should start growing food and collecting water," I explain, resisting the urge to bite back. Josh turns to me gently, finishing his mouthful before speaking. 

"Ok that's a plan, just two things: we need to find a warehouse and who are building the machines?" he asks quizzically.

I look at him for a while before sighing and replying slowly, his questions two steps ahead of my racing mind.

"Well, I was thinking maybe we could find a warehouse or something along the coast, that way we'll have the sun and the wind to power us. And as for the machines, Soph and I have a family of scientists, me and my little sister can handle it!" I say playfully punching Soph in the arm.

"When do we leave?" Maria asks, "because personally, I don't want to go if there's a hoard of our friends out there, you know?"

"I was thinking we should go at night, it will hide us better. If what Toby said is right about them evolving, then we need all the cover we can get," I reply.

I look around the group and there's a mixture of expressions, Josh shows a look of subtle worry and Soph halfhearted consideration, Toby's eyes have the look of childlike excitement that I'm so used to. It's Maria who has this sick look in her eyes that I don't even understand.

"I say we leave tonight as soon as we've packed our bags, the zombie activity is quite low at the moment so let's make the most of it," Toby exclaims.

"Ok let's get going," I reply, a mixture of concern and excitement flowing through my voice.

An hour passes and we all stand by the door- our hearts hammering against our chests and echoing in our ears. We have to go now before we back down. I watch Toby scoop Jaz into his arms, the tiny dog's presence a welcome surprise when I first arrived here. 

"Ok, guys it's now or never," I say enthusiastically and hear Maria scoff behind me, I continue nevertheless, swinging open the door with shaky hands and sprinting into the sinister and chilling night.