02

My heart froze. Escaped? How? How even? I turned to look at the officer.

       "What do you mean,escaped?" I said standing straighter.

      "Well, I mean,the rooms they were in,they're gone. Poof." The officer replied sarcasm hanging off his words.

     "Officer Mark! Don't speak to them like that. Tell them the truth." The judge snapped,anger crossing his face.

     "Sorry,ok. So we left them in a room so they could change,and when we returned to get them,they weren't in there. We looked everywhere for them,but there wasn't any clues." Officer Mark explained,taking the sarcasm away.

        "You let them escape?!"I screamed,becoming upset.

       "I- we -.." The officer kept stuttering,earning a glare from me.

      "We what? You just let murderers on the loose - and kidnappers!" I yelled clenching my fists.

      I wanted to hit something. Wanted to make something hurt like my heart did right now. I felt cool hands lay across my back,and I heard my mothers faint voice.

     "What's going on up here?" She asked clearly becoming annoyed.

      "The prisoners, they - escaped. We don't know where they are." Officer Mark said taking a step back.

     He was afraid.

    "Are you kidding me?" My mom snapped throwing her hands in the air.

     "Ma'am,don't worry we'll catch them." The judge said,his voice trying to soothe her.

     "No,you were already supposed to have them! And now what? My daughters are going to have to live in fear again!" My mom snapped her eyes turning angry.

       "I know. We should,no,we will catch them again. Your daughters won't have to live in fear." The judge said his voice still trying to soothe her.

      My mom shoved my keys into the palm of my hand,and turned me around.

     "Take Paisley home,ok? Your father and I will see you there. Lock the door." She instructed before giving me a tiny push.

      I grabbed Paisley's hand,and dragged her forward,wanting to get out of there as fast as possible,and into the car even faster. We broke through the court room doors,and into the chilly night. I staggered forward,unlocking the car and shooing everybody in. I opened my own door and slammed it shut. I punched the steering wheel in anger,and rested my head against the cool leather.

     Fat tears ran down my face,and I took in air,my thin frame shaking.  What were we going to do now?

      "Summer,it's ok. They'll catch them." Nicole said resting a cold hand on my shoulder. I flinched away,before starting the car and turning the heat on.

       "Are you ok?" Nicole asked,but I blocked her out.

       I reversed it and pulled out of the parking lot and towards Paisley's house,the radio silent,along with all of us keeping silent.
~~~

      Later that night,as I laid in bed I heard a knock on my door.

      "What?" I asked setting down my history book.