Chapter 22

The first time Raven had witness the memory she hadn't been able to control her shaking. Now, it still chilled her but she had managed to see past it to pick out the details of that night; the location, the faces. She understood it. She understood that the woman had given her life for Raven, an orphan child. She understood the taint of blood and death that lingered over that night. She just didn't know why she'd been given the dead woman's last memoires. Maybe she was meant to go back and find the place of her birth. Maybe it was to give her peace. Duran shook her from her thoughts.

"Are you okay?" he asked in her ear. She shook her thoughts away.

"Yes, just thinking," she answered absently. She felt the weight of his head as he rested his forehead on her shoulder. "Duran, what is your deepest desire?"

He moved his head. "Why do you ask?"

"Just something that they said..."

"That who said Raven?"

"What did you want the most at the docks?"

He paused for a moment before he answered. "I wanted you; I wanted you to be fine and safe. I was terrified I wouldn't be able to get to you."

Raven blinked away the tears that suddenly threatened to spill over. She gulped.

"After this, after I find her grave, after I apologize to Katherine, I'll come home with you. And I'll never run again," she promised him. Duran pressed his lips against the back of her neck.

"I know," he whispered back.