49.

--True story--

Soviet researchers from the late 1940s kept five people awake for fifteen days using an experimental gas structured stimulant. This was in term called “The Russian Sleep Experiment” They were kept in a sealed environment to carefully observe their oxygen intake so the Nikolayev gas didn’t kill them, since it was toxic in large concentrations. This has been before the existence of closed circuit cameras therefore they had only microphones and 5 inch thick glass porthole sized windows into the holding chamber to monitor and keep track of them. 

Everything was running smoothly with the sleep experiment; the subjects hardly complained having been promised (falsely) that they would be freed if they submitted to the test and did not sleep for experimented days. After five days they started to protest concerning their circumstances and events contributing to where they were being held and all commenced to show signs of intense paranoia. They ceased conversing with one another and began instead to whispering to the the microphones and their one way mirrored portholes. 

(The 9th day):

The first of them started off screaming. He ran along the chamber consistently screaming at the top of his lungs for Three hours without pause, he continued attempting to scream but was only capable of producing infrequent squeaks. The researchers postulated that he had physically tattered his vocal cords. Probably the most surprising thing about this behavior is how the other captives reacted to it… or rather didn’t react to it whatsoever.

The 2 non-screaming captives took the books apart, smeared page after page with their own feces and pasted them calmly over the glass portholes. The screaming promptly ceased. So did the whispering to the microphones. The Porthole windows have became un-viewable.

(The 12th day):

All that was heard from the subjects after the researchers tried to communicate with them was "We no longer want to be freed".

(The 15th day):

The chamber was purged from the Nikolayev gas and filled with fresh air and instantly voices from the microphones had begun to object. 3 different voices began pleading, as though they were begging for the life of loved ones to turn the gas back on. The chamber was opened and soviet soldiers sent in to retrieve the test subjects. They started screaming louder than ever before, and thus did the soldiers when they had the chance to see what was on the inside.

Four of the five subjects remained alive, despite the fact that nobody could rightly call the state of the test subjects as ‘living. ‘ The food rations past day 5 hadn’t been so much as touched. There was chunks of meat from the deceased test subject’s upper thighs and chest stuffed into the drain down the middle of the chamber,obstructing the drain and allowing 4 inches of water to amass on to the floor. Exactly how much of the water on the floor was actually blood never was determined.
All four ’surviving’ Russian Sleep experiment subjects also had significant portions of muscle tissue and epidermis torn far from their bodies. The destruction of flesh and exposed bone on the subject’s finger tips revealed that the wounds were inflicted manually by hand, not with teeth as the research workers initially considered. Closer study of the position and angles of the wounds revealed that most if not all all of them were self-inflicted. 

They carried on to scream to be left inside the chamber and alternately begged and demanded that the gas be turned back on, lest they fall asleep… To everybody’s surprise the test subjects put up a fierce fight while being taken out of the chamber.Among the Soviet soldiers, one perished from getting his neck punctured by a test subject.
In total: 5 of the soldiers, following the incident took their own lives after being witness to their comrade’s deaths. In the struggle one of the four living subjects had his spleen ruptured and he bled out almost immediately. The medical researchers tried to sedate him but this proved impossible. He was injected with serum DMT using more than ten times the human dose of a morphine derivative and still fought like a cornered animal, kicking to breaking the ribs and arm of one doctor.

The test subjects were restrained and moved to a medical bay. The two that could still talk continued to beg and demand to be put back in the room and the gas be turned back on. Over time tests and surgery were done on the test subjects to try and help them and figure out what was going so very wrong and what had made them turn into feral non human looking creatures. 

The sole remaining subject that could talk started screaming to be sealed in now. His brainwaves showed exactly the same flat-lines as one who had just died from falling asleep. The commander gave an order to seal the holding chamber with the two subjects on the inside, as well as 3 researchers. One of the named three immediately drew his gun and shot the commander point blank between the eyes, then turned the gun on the mute subject and shot him as well.

The experiment was a failure. All test subjects had died or been killed and the government deemed the gas to dangerous for use on anyone and funding was stopped for this experiment and still is today.

-- this is a picture of them after the whole experiment--

God, I love Russia:))