Sixteen

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Adrian?" Cara shouted.

     Adrian lifted a gun and pointed it at Cara. "Look, my idea involves no harm done to Megan, but if I told you it first, you'd be quick to assume otherwise."

     I began to weep as he held on to me tighter. "Let me go, please."

     "She's scared, Adrian! What the fuck is wrong with you?" Holly exclaimed.

     Caro came forward and levelled a rifle towards them in defence of Adrian, standing protectively in front of him as Adrian led us into the hallway and in front of the stairs. Releasing me from his grip, he pushed me forward, threatening me with the gun this time.

     "Go on," he said, gesturing to the stairs.

     I turned around and slowly crept up the creaking stairway. Above us, the dim light flickered and fear suddenly overcame me. What did Adrian have planned for me?

     I reached the end of the first flight of stairs and looked at Adrian to see if I should go any further up. He nodded, looking up the dark stairway in which the dim bulb refused to shed light.

     As I walked up, I noticed the paint on the walls was peeling off. The dust on the floorboards created a new shade of brown. The blackness up ahead and the creatures that hid within enabled a shiver to run up my spine.

     I didn't dare speak, as I feared for my life. How odd that I was threatened by the same people that should look out for me as well as everyone else.

     At the top of the stairs, I found we were standing in the midst of a narrow hallway that led to one door that was promptly shut. Adrian ordered me to go to the door and open it. We entered the room and soon, the room's darkness was invaded by a blinding white light emitted from the light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

     We had arrived in a bedroom. It was quite empty, with only a bed, a closet and a bookshelf, along with the occasional book or stray piece of paper scattered around in different places on the floor. Staring at the wide space, this would've been my dream bedroom if all was normal and there were no zeds. 

     "See that window there?" Adrian asked me as he pointed at the far end of the room.

     I nodded, staring at the large window, briefly seeing what was outside and then realising that it led to the roof.

     "You're gonna go through there, and you're going to distract the zeds, alright?"

     "Why would I do that?"

     "You're going to stand at the far edge on the other side of the building and lead the zeds there. Then once the front door's clear of zeds, we'll make a break for it into the cars."

     "How would I get out, though?"

     "Worst come to worst, you'll have to jump on the van, but I guess it's tall enough for you, right?"

     I thought over the plan, shaking my head. "A lot of things could go wrong."

     "Yeah, but we'll just have to take the risk."

     I shook my head again, more vigorously this time. "No, I don't want to do it."

     Adrian pointed the gun at me again. "You don't have a choice."

     Gulping, I turned around and made my way over to the window. I slid it open and then poked my head through. A sharp gust of wind passed, and I suddenly felt very cold. It was a cruel reminder of how high I was.

     "Go on," Adrian said.

     Using my upper-body strength, I pulled myself through, ending up on my knees. Out of breath, I stood up to find myself on smooth concrete that seemed unsteady.

     "Distract them," Adrian reminded, calling from below. I caught a glimpse of him before he disappeared, likely to disclose the plan to the others.

     The sky began to darken and I knew I was running out of precious time. The floor holding me felt like it was going to rupture beneath my feet. I steadied myself along it, and made my way over to the back of the building.

     I peered over the edge and found the herd of zeds surrounding the building. A few caught sight of me and began to growl in desperation, stretching their arms, wanting to pull me into their grasp.

     The plan was to get every one of their attention and lead them away from the front door. Didn't seem too bad.

     As I finally made it to the back, I began to let out shrieks and screams, provoking the group to come toward me. It was a slow process just waiting for them to make way.

     After enough zeds had walked to the back, I heard the front door opening, along with the familiar hiss of engines, one after another, before I heard vehicles driving off.

     Hurrying back, I saw the van right out at the front, waiting for me as Adrian had promised. But with my fear of heights and the anxiety that made unspeakable outcomes pop up in my mind in the situation where I didn't land on the van, I began to rethink my decisions. Actually, being held at gunpoint didn't count. I didn't have a choice.

     "Hurry up!" Adrian called out from the drivers seat.

     From the sound of his voice, the zeds were probably making their way back now. It was now or never.

     My feet stepped back a few steps, and then suddenly they sprinted forward. Just as I made it onto the edge, I stopped. I couldn't do it.

     "I'll just come downstairs!" I screamed.

     After a few steps backwards, my foot slipped and a loose tile had completely broken off, causing me to fall with it until we made it to the edge again. I was pushed over it by an unchallengeable force and I let out a scream as I remained airborne for a solid five seconds.

     I landed on the top of the van, screams of pain flooding out of my mouth as I landed on my bad shoulder. The pain had almost gone before, but this fall made it come back with double the intensity and pain.

     The van abruptly moved forward, sending my body sprawling on the top, struggling to find something to hold, but it was too late. I fell over the edge of the van and landed on the floor, just to see I was surrounded by a large group of zeds.

     "Wait!" I called, but the van continued to move and soon drove at full speed, leaving me alone once again.