Chapter 11

James had arrived in Brussels three weeks ago. He had been sent from Vienna, by the Duke himself, to plan for his anticipated arrival. Since last year, when peace had been declared, James had been working on Wellington's staff. The Duke, notorious for surrounding himself with young, inexperienced men of noble birth, had sent his most senior officer to smooth the way for his arrival. James knew, from experience, that his superior would not be at all pleased with how the men, soon to be back under his command, had been lead.

He had spent most of the day, wasting his time, trying to smooth out a domestic dispute, between one of the young officers and the wife of a local dignitary. That morning he had dressed in full uniform, as the severe nature of the incident had warranted formal attire. His good friend, Captain Richardson, who was also on Wellington's staff, had agreed to join him. They had both spent most of the day, trying to placate all the aggrieved parties. And, after many unsuccessful attempts to come to an arrangement, they finally reached an agreement where pride, on both sides, remained intact. And now, they were finally on the way back to their rooms for a well-earned drink.

They were just about to enter their hotel when James's attention was drawn to an incident occurring on the other side of the street. A young officer, with his hands tightly gripping a woman's upper arm, was making a scene. There was an unmistakable look of anger in the young man's eyes as he continued to berate the woman publicly.

After the day, he had just had, his first inclination was to turn around and ignore the unfolding drama. But his shoulders fell when he realised he had no choice but to intervene.

Captain Richardson, sensing his agitation, then said, 'let us go inside. I don't know about you, but I could do with a stiff drink.'

James, who was still watching the young officer, was now bristling with indignation. He was tired of sorting out problems caused by the arrogance of the more inexperienced officers. Their public behaviour should be beyond reproach, and they should be an example to the men under their command. 'I am sorry, Arthur. I must postpone that drink.'

As James walked across the busy street, avoiding the steady stream of traffic, he recognised the young woman: it was Verity Stanford. It had been a long time since he had thought about her and that strange house-party he had attended at Lord Melrose's estate. She looked out of place, in this colourful, vibrant city, dressed in a plain gown and an unfashionable bonnet that covered her beautiful hair. As he looked at her, he saw the same woman he had left standing by the fireplace in the drawing room at Hadlands. The intervening two and a half years seemed to melt away, and it felt like it was only yesterday when he had last seen her.

As he approached, the young man, recognising the authority of a senior officer, now stood to attention. There was something very familiar in this young man's facial expression and general demeanour.

'Good afternoon, Major Mitford,' she had said to him as he approached.

Miss Stanford then introduced the young man. It was her brother; Sir Reginald Stanford. Now it made sense. He did not look like Verity, but there was a strong resemblance between him and her younger sister, Cassie.

Now that James knew the identity of the young man; he was even more incensed with his general conduct. Sensing the young man's discomfort, he challenged him regarding his treatment of his sister. Even though there was very little he could do to discipline him; he was, after all, not his direct superior, there were ways he could make this young man's life a bit difficult. 'I would like you to come to my quarters at seven tomorrow morning.' James had said, to the young officer, before finally dismissing him.

'He should not do that again,' James said to Verity after he had gone. He felt satisfied with his handling of the situation, even though Miss Stanford had tried to excuse her brother's behaviour. She looked nervous and unable to look him in the eye, and he had a slight suspicion that she resented his intervention. Behind Verity was another woman, dressed in the same dull looking uniform.