1

This is the story of one of the simpler cases, and it occurred on one Christmas Eve, of '84.

I had risen early, and was sat in my red armchair in the drawing room, listening to the radio, and looking through the daily times. At his usual time of nine thirty;

'Morning Watson' said he.

'Holmes.' Was the reply, as per normal.

'Christmas tomorrow, Sherlock.'

'It seems so John'

He sat down in the green leather chair opposite, and seemed to be studying me.

'My dear fellow, whatever is the matter?' asked I.

'Nothing much, Watson. Just I cannot decipher what you are feeling today. Normally I can tell what mood you are in simply by looking upon you. Today it is different'

That was true, for I myself did not know how I was.

'Is Mycroft still visiting later?' said I.

'My brother has decided to spend more time with my mother and father.'

'Just the two of us for Christmas then?'

'Just us. First since we met, Watson, and I hope many more will come upon us-'

He was interrupted by a sharp rap on the door.

I answered it to find a gentleman and lady standing by the door, both dressed in black..

'My wife wishes to see Holmes.'

***

Once the man and his wife were comfortably inside, the man stood behind the wooden chair on which his wife was sat, Holmes began to talk.

'I understand you are shocked, or scared, or whatever it is you feel, well I don't, but I need to know what is going on.'

The man took a deep breath and glanced at his wife.

'My wife's brother, my brother-in-law, Elias, has taken his own life. A selfish act that only a selfish, good for nothing gowk like him would do. My wife is adamant that someone else is behind it.'

From there, with a hard glare at her husband, the woman took over.

'Elias, my brother, he's a scientist see, he was just about to publish a research paper, and now he is gone. He would not take his own life, someone else was behind it. I am begging you, Sirs, please. I need closure. I need to know he did not take his own life.'

'Clara', started the husband softly, as though to stop her.

'Owen, no. please Owen.' Interrupted she.

I looked to Holmes, and it appeared he had made up his mind already.

'My companion and I will not be able to help you.'

I saw the desperation on the lady's face, and decided to step in.

'Would you two please give us a moment?'

Holmes and I left for another room.

'Sherlock, we should help them.'

'it is far too trivial a case dear Watson. I only deal with the impossible odd, you know that.' He then added, as an afterthought, 'Or the cases that Lestrade can't do.'

'Lay that woman's mind to rest Holmes.'

He shook his head, giving me a strange look.

'Sherlock, please. If I were to suggest that we worked on it today, and if it is not solved by nightfall we leave it, should that change your mind?'

He looked at me, his eyes boring into mine.

'John, it seems I shall help. Let us solve this case by nightfall. We have been fairly quiet recently anyway.' And with that, we left for the other room.

'My companion has talked me into helping you out here. Tell us what happened.'

The gentleman began.

'my brother-in-law, Elias Michael, and his two sons, were visiting us, my wife, our children and I, for Christmas, at our house, Alexandra Manor, not two hours from here, in Surrey. He was come from their residence in Norfolk. I am Mr Galton, by the way, Owen Galton, and my wife is Clara Galton. He was perfectly fine last night, he and I were playing cards until late, and then this morning he was found dead in his room, his throat slit, and a bloodied blade in his hand.

There, Mrs Galton interrupted.

'It was Terrence who found him, Elias' eleven year old son, and he came rushing to Owen, who told me not to look, but oh, I looked ant it was not suicide. He had too much to live for to throw it away.

Holmes had written all of this down, and he slowly looked up from his notepad.

'you live in Alexandra Manor, in Surrey, you said?'

He was rewarded with a curt nod form Mr Galton.

'We shall set off in ten minutes.' Said he. He then turned to me, and said, 'Watson, pack all you will need. Bring a ruler.'