Chapter 23 (Not defeated)

It was the day of the dinner, and Kaylyn was still not talking to Matthew. His words had rested in her thoughts for the entire night, thus depriving her of sleep. Deep down, she understood his anger, but she still couldn't help feeling hurt. What right did he have to feel hurt anyway? He had no initial interest in the baby and he had dragged her to his house against her will. If anybody should be upset about anything, it should be her.

    Sapphire entered the room when Kaylyn was making her bed. Although the door was opened, she paused and knocked, waiting for permission to fully enter.

    Kaylyn smiled at the sight of her in her Dora pyjama suit. "Come in," she told her and Sapphire walked towards her then hugged her legs.

The act took Kaylyn by surprise. "Are you OK Kaylyn?" she asked, looking up at her.

Kaylyn grinned. "I am," she assured her, gently using her hand to smoothen her hair.

     "Are you sure?" she asked raising a brow.

       "I'm sure," she said and Sapphire was still not convinced, but she decided to let it go.

        "What will you do today?" she asked cheerfully, with a grin on her face.

        "I want to relax, and then maybe visit the doctor in the afternoon," she informed and the smile fell from Sapphire's face.

     "Doctor?" she exclaimed questioningly. "I knew you weren't OK!" she hissed, pouting.

Kaylyn chuckled lightly. "I just want to make sure the baby's OK," she assured her, using her fingers to tuck the flaying tendrils of hair behind Sapphire's ear.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, smiling.

There was a small silence and Kaylyn figured what she would ask next.

      "Can I come?" she chirped.

Kaylyn grinned, knowing she was right. "Of course you can," she told her and Sapphire squealed out in excitement, jumping in kaylyn's hand, which caused them to both fall on the bed, laughing hard.

#

Matthew sat, drinking coffee when he finally decided to call Catherine and tell her, he would no longer be attending the dinner.

      "Hello Matthew?" she answered warmly.

      "Hey, it's about the dinner. I won't be able to make it-"

      "Why?" she quickly asked, and anyone who knew of her plans could hear the sudden distress that rang out in her voice.

Kaylyn isn't feeling too well, he decided to say instead of filling in her on the details.

      "Oh," came the flat reply.

       "Yes, so I'm sorry," he told her.

       "But surely, she may feel better by tonight," she quickly blurted, wanting so much to plant another option in his head.

       "She needs rest Catherine," Matthew said, getting agitated.

       "Well well, look who finally decided to be a family man," she choked out a laugh. "And the funny thing is, the child probably isn't yours," she said now, the darker side of her making itself known.

Matthew laughed at the sudden change of personality. "All this was some ploy to lure Kaylyn there so you could embarrass her, wasn't it?" Matthew asked when realization dawned.

       "Who said you weren't a smart man?" she mocked, telling him he was indeed correct.

       "And now it will backfire in your face you sick Bitch," he hissed angrily, flabbergasted by the fact that the woman would even consider doing such a thing. He immediately hung up the phone without hearing a reply from the minx. If she had any thoughts in her sick brain, that she would hurt Kaylyn or his child, she would be sadly mistaken.

#

Catherine grounded her teeth, when she heard the beeping on the other line which indicated that Matthew had disconnected the call. Muttering a loud curse, she pulled the phone from its cable and threw it into the wall.

She raked her fingers through her hair and paced the office floor, biting her nails while she thought. She couldn't believe that the man had cancelled at the last minute; just when she was revelling in the whole idea of everything.

She chew on her nails, abandoning them when she spotted a bottle of vodka in the far end of the room on a table. She quickly dashed towards it and poured herself a glass, downing the entire thing in one go. She bared her teeth at the taste and moved around the table as she took a seat in a chair.

She was deep in thought for a few minutes before an idea came to her. She quickly pulled her cell phone from her bag, and eagerly dialled Lilith Fisher's phone number.

      "Hello, this is Lilith Fisher-"

       "Lilith! It's Catherine," she quickly said in her most composed tone.

      "Oh, Catherine darling. How are you?" the woman exclaimed excitedly.

Catherine rolled her eyes in frustration, never liking the woman for chatting so much. "I'm wonderful dear. Are you guys still heading here for the dinner?" she asked, twirling her finger around the rim of the glass as she awaited her answer.

       "Why, of course sweetheart. We are leaving home now for our flight at noon," Lilith provided and Catherine grinned.

      "Wonderful!" she exclaimed before lowering her tone. "But you know Lilith, Matthew dear is not feeling so well, and so we postponed the party, but he insisted that you guys come and have dinner with us...at his home," she told the woman on the other end- Every word a lie.

      "Oh, poor Matthew. Well that's fine dear. We will still attend. Anything for a friend," Lilith said softly.

       "I'll meet you guys at the airport and escort you to his house then," she exclaimed and smiled, knowing she was not yet defeated.