Chapter 40

Hi, Alex here. Great to see the readership grow week by week! If you really like the story and the character of Calendar Moonshine, travel your browser over to Amazon or any retailer and check out the second Calendar adventure called "Brilliant Actors". Similar twists and turns in a story that plays out not in the art world but in the movie and actors scene. I promise you, also a good read! And it cost less than a frappucino or whatever your seasonal favorite beverage is. But now, on with the story...                  

I WOKE UP after a short night's sleep, my alarm clock pinging away. Mom and Dad were having breakfast in the kitchen.

"You were out late, Hon," Mom said.

"Yeah, my policeman took me out," I lied easily.

"Something developing?" Dad munched over his paper.

"Difficult to say with Mundy still around and all." I poured an herbal tea and dipped a croissant into it, regretted it immediately.

"Will you be in for dinner tonight?"

"Can't say yet. Have to catch a double killer first."

We changed subjects after that.

Ron picked me up around ten and gave me the go-ahead.

"Our men are in position. You can start your little game," he said. We drove toward the gallery and Ron let me out two blocks before we got there. "Break a leg," he said and I walked the last few yards.

I took a breather, checked myself briefly in the gallery door reflection and entered the lion's den.

The air was considerably cooler than outside, maybe it helped to sell the art. The assistant left another buyer for a second and walked over to me. His face didn't register any recognition and I asked him to meet with Mr. Altward. He phoned up and Altward came walking down the stairs of the safe room a minute later.

I stepped forward and held out my hand.

"Good morning. My name is Calendar Moonstone. We met briefly a few weeks ago."

"Ah, yes, the jewel craftswoman. Still looking for my Montenhaute? Still holding my Calder!" His voice had a slightly annoyed undertone as if he didn't take me serious as he looked me up and down.

"Mr. Altward, I am calling on you because I have something that belongs to you."

"Yes?"

"I am in possession of an item from the Maximilian Set. And I am willing to sell it back to you."

Altward looked left and right to check whether the other people in the room had noticed but I had spoken in a low tone. He moved me over to the opposite side of the room where we had more privacy. "The Maximilian Set? How interesting. I read everything in the paper about it."

"Don't play me for a fool, Mr. Altward. We both know that you know exactly what this is all about."

Silence. "What is your role in it?"

"I am a thief, Mr. Altward, a very skilled thief. I have a method of acquiring things."

"I don't know what you mean."

"You will know, Mr. Altward." I carefully undid the upper buttons of my blouse and Altward had a good look at my fake Maximilian necklace in all its glory. I silently counted to three and closed the buttons again. Altward's hand came up slowly as if to hold the piece and keep it in view forever.

I handed him the envelope with the photo. Altward had grown rosy around the face and his moustache quivered slightly like a cat in front of a mouse hole. "Now, I do see what you mean. What are you proposing?" He asked carefully.