July 28 2014

Today is my first day of girls' camp for church. I'm a fourth year this year, and leaving home was hard. I didn't want to go because of all of the people I could be talking to, but at the same time I know this will be good for me. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it any easier. I cried a little when dad left for work, and my little brother Riley saw, and I didn't want to seem like a whiner or a baby so I tried my best to hide it from him. I almost started full-on crying at the church when I said bye to mom.

I really miss everyone now that I'm here. My group got the worst tent, and I guess that's karma for complaining so much about not wanting to go. I'm trying my best to keep it positive now.

It's funny, because I'm partly happy and partly sad. When we played this game where you can't laugh as you walk past your opponent and maintain eye contact. I won every time because I was able to keep a straight face so well. But that was just because my mood would completely change. And when it wasn't my turn, I was laughing and playing just like all of the other girls. Every time it was my turn I would just think about how much I missed everyone. It helped, I guess.

I miss my mom and dad already. I miss texting Lynn and Andy. Even though I'm focused and everything, they're always on the back of my mind. I am having fun, even though the lack of planning on my church leaders' behalf was frustrating. I didn't appreciate putting off putting sunscreen on to carry a tent 1/4 mile one way to be told to put it back.

I'm just hoping if I stay positive, some good karma will come my way. I'm already sunburned because I couldn't get to my bag fast enough. I guess it's what I get for complaining that I don't want to go. (One huge plus is that the showers here are really nice.)