Chapter Fifteen

Derek

It took a while but with Amelia's help, I managed to get up and we walked inside to the waiting room. Amelia then left, coming back shortly after with coffee and news.

"I asked on of the nurses and she said that they took Layna up to surgery." I didn't respond, just stared at the coffee cup in my hand. Amelia sighed, "This is good Derek, it means there's a chance."

"Did you see what he did to her?" I asked, my voice cracking. "No one survives that."

We were silent for a moment, and then Amelia spoke up, "Tell me about her?"

I smiled softly, remembering her, "I don't even know where I would start."

"How about at the beginning."

***

I was awoken in the middle of the night by screaming. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and looked around, until my eyes landed on the open window. Going to it, I could see that the screaming was coming from the little girl in the neighboring house. Tom and Steve were in there trying to comfort her, but she just kept crying.

"Why is she so loud?" I asked through the window, and Tom turned around to look at me.

"She had a nightmare, Derek, I'm sorry if she woke you up. Go back to bed buddy."

"She's kind of annoying," I said, and Tom smiled a little.

"Go back to bed, buddy, its late."

"Is she the one you adopted? Mom said that we had to come see her tomorrow."

"Yeah, her name is Layna."

"I don't like her."

"That's not very nice, Derek."

"I don't care. She's loud and annoying and you should send her back."

I must have spoken too loudly because suddenly the crying had stopped and the little girl had jumped up from the bed, and had run over to Tom. "I'm sorry! I don't wanna go back, please, I'll be better."

"Sweetheart don't worry, you're going to stay right here with us," Tom then turned to me, "Apologize right now Derek, that wasn't nice."

I rolled my eyes, "Sorry. Why are you crying that much anyways, everyone has bad dreams."

She rubbed her little face with her hands. "I don't like being alone."

That gave me an idea. I went further back into my room, going over to the closet where I had a box of old toys. Pulling out the one from the top, I handed it to her.

"This is superman. He's really strong, and can protect anyone. If you wake up from a nightmare, and he's there, he can protect you so you don't need to cry and bother me. Okay?"

She nodded her head, taking the stuffed animal from me. "Thank you."

"That was very nice of you, thank you Derek." Steve said.

"I just wanted her to shut up. I'm going back to bed."

As I was about to close my window, a small voice spoke up, "Will you protect me too?" Layna whispered quietly.

"Sure, whatever makes you stop crying."

"You promise?"

"I do."