Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Four

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it."

Helen Keller

Nate's fist slammed onto the hardwood desk in front of him. The loud bang had both Marie and Theresa jumping. "How could this happen?" Anger churned in his stomach and traveled up his throat, making his words snap like fire.

Punish, his wolf urged him.

How dare they?

He paced back and forth in front of the tall picture window. "We've assimilated the family into the pack." He said, "This shouldn't be a problem."

"They were teenagers, Nate," Claire said. "If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that teens don't like to follow rules."

Nate shook his head. Surely by now he'd worn a path into the gray patterned carpet. "Not in packs. This is a direct slap against their Alpha. It's beyond disrespectful."

Punish, his wolf said again. The teens needed to learn their place. Insulting and embarrassing their Luna, their Alpha Female, was one of the highest crimes within a pack.

Banishment.

His wolf wanted them gone.

Gabe, arms crossed, shifted to one foot. "Order needs to be restored. If a line isn't drawn—and drawn clearly—the wolves will lose sight of their place. Ranking will become nothing but a word."

Theresa stepped forward. "This is obviously something you two need to discuss. Marie, why don't we go start on dinner?"

Marie, who'd stayed quiet and absentmindedly petted Charlie's hair the whole time, slowly stood. She held Charlie's hand tight in hers. "Yes...that sounds like a good idea."

Theresa placed a comforting hand on Marie's arm. "Food will make it better."

The door closed softly behind them.

Nate paced, tracing his thumb over his bottom lip. He couldn't have a meeting about this. The situation wasn't something that could be settled with a few stern words.

They had harmed his mate. It wasn't a light offense.

No, action had to be taken. People needed to be made an example of.

Damn it, but banishing pack members, making them leave, would not unify the pack. If anything, more members would be pissed. Angry that he'd thrown out their friends. Beyond furious that he punished their children.

But what they'd done... Goddess, his blood boiled just thinking about it.

"Aaricia..." Gabe sounded alarmed.

From the corner of his eye, Nate watched Claire's body straighten.

He turned.

And met golden eyes.

"Mate." Claire's voice took on a more gravelly, guttural tone. Her lips curved into a smile not quite her usual style.

Nate snapped to attention. Claire's wolf was a bit...unpredictable.

Claire tilted her head. "Hello."

Nate fought the urge to keep pacing. "Hi."

This wasn't the first time Claire's wolf had made an appearance. Usually it happened when Claire slept, though her wolf had made it to the surface every once in a while. Since last year when Claire had killed Justin, her wolf had been free to roam and reveal herself at will. Claire had a good handle on her beast side, yet sometimes her wolf took over. Never in a violent mood, thank Goddess. It still put him on edge, though.