32 | Emerson

Having some distance from Leo for most of Christmas vacation was nice, in the oddest way

Having some distance from Leo for most of Christmas vacation was nice, in the oddest way. I was happy he'd finally begun the process of reconciling with his father and at the same time, the break offered me a chance to focus on the people I'd let slip away while wrapped up in all the novelties of teenage love.

I'd hardly seen Flynn last semester, since we'd shared none of the same classes. But he was always a joy to be around and surprisingly good shopping buddy. I'd tried to bring Max shopping with me once in sophomore year, and it ended with me having to hunt around the three-floored mall to simply find him.

"This flavor combination is disgusting," Flynn began, as he ate another spoonful of his frozen yogurt concoction. It was blood-orange and cookies and cream yogurt with caramel sauce, dried bananas, and kiwi slices. I actually questioned if he had taken something before we'd entered the store.

"Maybe because you decided to test the limits of frozen yogurt today?" I offered, wincing as he kept eating his. I had ordered a simple chocolate fudge flavor with raspberries on top. "Do you just want me to just buy you a new one?"

"No, no, it's fine," he began, his attention solely focused on his cup. He studied a spoonful for a moment before putting it back into the yogurt. "It's really not, but I'm not going to make you pay. Speaking of that, want to know something funny?" He snorted derisively, giving me the impression that his statement wasn't going to be "funny," in that sense.

I nodded. "What?"

"Kalani went out for lunch with Franco last week. When they finished eating, he left the check on the table, said he had to go to the bathroom and never came back. Who does that?"

"Assholes?"

"Exactly." He huffed and shoved his cup to the side. Feeling adventurous, I took a small spoonful of it, carefully letting the flavor set into my mouth.

"Wow, that actually tastes worse than it sounds."

"Amazing observation, Emerson," he quipped. "This is why they call you a genius." We both began to laugh, even though the levity in his voice tapered off.

"Flynn, what's going on?" I asked, raising my voice slightly as the buzz of the shop grew louder. Leaning over the table, I asked, "Does this all have to do with Kalani?"

He placed a fist under his chin and glanced to the side, tracing random patterns on the table. Flynn had always been more of sensitive guy; someone called his dog ugly once in seventh grade and he cried. "It's not just her."

"Then what else?"

He sighed. "Okay, so it's like ninety-five percent her," he admitted, fighting a smirk. "The other five percent is the four dollars I wasted on this yogurt."

I offered him a spoonful of mine, which he took gratefully. "Flynn, I know it's going to come off as harsh, but I don't think she's the right one for you. She's not into...nice guys. You know, the ones that would treat her right and actually care for more than what she has to offer...physically."