Chapter 56

I could certainly see why Drake and his group had been able to hide here so well. This park had lots of big trees with huge branches. Taureen and Aeria were trailing behind me somewhere as I explored the dense canopy of the trees.

I glanced through the branches. "Uh, I am not sure if you two were expecting Keith, but he is coming down the path." I had no idea why Aeria's father would be out here, but I was positive that it wasn't by chance.

I kept hidden in the tree canopy while silently stalking him. He was not surprised to see Taureen and Aeria. Although, I saw his footsteps pause as he noted my absence, much to my amusement.

Taureen nodded a greeting. "Good morning, Keith. What brings you out this way?"

Keith replied, "You, actually. But where is your fire lizard?"

Taureen gestured to the trees. "She is around exploring."

He raised his eyebrow in disbelief. "You trust her to come back so easily when she was wild mere months ago?"

Taureen nodded easily. "Yes. You underestimate the strength of the ties between a bond animal and their handler."

Keith regarded him for a moment. "I know any bond is close, but it usually takes several years to fully develop."

Taureen wasn't at all concerned as he replied, "She has come back before and she will again, but you did not come all the way out here just for a quiet walk through the park."

Keith nodded as he joined them on their slow stroll, walking back the way he had come. "The Elders have circulated their final plan to find that sicora hive. I am hoping that you will allow me to join the hunt."

That wasn't what Taureen had expected to hear, and he gave Keith a confused look before replying, "The fighter groups are being decided by the Elders. I am not sure why you are coming to me with this request."

Keith walked beside them with a patient expression. "A handler going into a dangerous situation typically has six guards strictly for them and their bond animal. I know you have already named Tran, Vick, and Tkael in that role, but that leaves three positions free. I know that the Elders are expecting them to be filled before we leave while allowing several days for Tasha to get used to their presence."

I listened from my hiding place in the branches above as I slowly followed them down the path. I hadn't been aware of that detail, then again, there hadn't been much time for talk since Taureen got back.

Taureen looked like he was trying to solve a riddle. "That is true, but that is a very temporary guard position, and it will likely not see any action at all. I do not see an experienced fighter like yourself enjoying such a role when you are accustomed to being in the middle of the battlefield."

Keith continued to play it cool, and his reply was calm and collected. "I consider it as a new experience. I have never had a chance to be a guard for a bond animal before."

Aeria sighed at his evasive answers. "Father. You have never shown interest in such a position before. Can you please tell us why? Please don't make me go behind your back to ask Mother."

He sent an amused glance at his daughter. "A sicora nest is no light matter. My group was passed over in the selection process as our speciality skills are against mechanized fighters or remotely-operated robotic units. I wish to be part of this hunt in some sort of fashion, and if it means being a guard for a handler and their companion, then so be it."

Aeria narrowed her eyes. "And...?" She plainly thought that there was more to his story. Well, she is his daughter. She should know him pretty well since she is around Taureen's age. I can only imagine how much you learn about your parents when you live for centuries... Although I am pretty sure that she isn't over 150 years yet.

Keith sighed gustily as he gave in. "My previous arguments are valid, but the most pressing point is that your mother has decided that she approves of Taureen. She mentioned that it would be best if an older fighter was also included in his personal guard team during this hunt. I do have four centuries of combat experience."

I grinned. Ah, the power of a wife looking out for her daughter's interests. With Keith coming out here on his wife's request, it also meant that he was also showing a stronger support for Taureen. Of course, after having this little detail come to light, Taureen can't really turn him down without insulting him.

Taureen obviously knew it as well. He bowed his head respectfully. "Then I will welcome your experience. I have never had to deal with a sicora hive before."

Keith did not seem surprised and smiled slightly at achieving his goal. He gazed at the forest around him while asking, "Are you sure that Tasha didn't take off? Our plans are completely dependent on her tracking abilities."

Taureen reached into a pocket and held out two sunburst berries before calling out, "Tasha, I have sunburst berries."

His call had been just above normal speaking volume. With a grin, I dropped off of the branch I was perched on to fly up behind them. I gracefully banked around Taureen to land with precision on his wrist as I picked up the two berries. "You are simply lucky that I was close enough to hear that."

Neither Taureen nor Aeria replied to my comment, although both had slight grins that could easily be explained away by my sudden appearance in the face of Keith's skepticism. Keith simply shook his head in faint surprise. "I didn't even hear her fly up."

I finished the treat and looked around at the forest. Taureen lifted his hand. "Go on."

I took flight and headed towards the forest at the side of the path, managing to squeeze through a small gap that required me to completely fold my wings while flying at a high speed.

"How did she just fit through that space?" I snickered at Keith's astonishment. Apparently, he was not aware of how agile a dragonet could be in flight. If we were going after a sicora hive, more practice might be a good thing.

I flew through the forest nearby just out of their sight, practicing my agility and ability to dodge the smaller branches that moved in the light breeze.

*       *        *       *        *

I hope you're enjoying the story so far! If you think others might want to read it, could you please add it to one of your public reading lists? I've found a lot of good books over the years by looking at the reading lists on other people's profiles. Thanks so much! 💖