Chapter 6: Jersey

Becca

Brett pulled into the parking lot that was already packed with cars. Eager students were shuffling around, anxious to watch the first game of the season.

Brett grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the school entrance, away from the field.

"Where are we going? The field is that way." I said confused, nodding in the opposite direction. 

He chuckled and glanced over at me while we walked through the parking lot. His laughter eased some of my nerves. I was beginning to think he was upset with me. "There's somewhere we need to go first."

Brett led me through the dimly lit school hallways and into the, thankfully empty, boys locker room. I did gazed around, my eyes taking in the unfamiliar space as I tried to ignore the subtle smell of dirty clothing. I watched as Brett made his way towards the last locker in the far corner, where his name decorated a wooden plaque above it. He reached into the cubby and pulled something out, looking at me sweetly and gesturing for me to join him.

I walked towards him slowly, my heart in my throat.

"Here," he reached for my hand and opened my palm, gently placing the piece of fabric he was holding onto it. I opened it up and realization dawned on me. It was his jersey. The royal blue fabric was soft under my fingertips and smelt of his woodsy, warm scent. I held it out in front of me and noticed the name "WELLS" stitched onto the back of it in white thread.

I gazed up at him and the look on his face made my heart melt. His eyes were so full of adoration it broke me. I wanted nothing more than to stand up on my tip-toes and kiss him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. He wanted friendship and I would give him that.

But the look in his eyes said otherwise.

In a second he blinked and it was gone. His blue eyes shone down at me as a smile played on his lips.

"This is the only jersey that my girl can wear, got it?" Now I understood his confusion when first seeing me in Cassie's old jersey back at the apartment. He didn't want me to wear a random jersey. He wanted me to wear his jersey. And only his.

"Okay," I smiled at him shyly, struggling to say more as we shared this special moment.

"Here," he reached out hesitantly and helped me remove my jean jacket. He placed it gently on the hook in his locker before turning back to me. The air in the locker seemed to get thicker as I became increasingly aware of the beautiful boy standing so close to me. I wondered if he felt it to, the electricity between us. I wanted desperately to believe he did, but a voice in the back of my head told me otherwise.

"Do you, ugh..." He smiled shyly while nodding to the old jersey I was still wearing, running a hand through his hair. He was nervous.

Oh. He wanted to know if I was wearing something under this jersey. I laughed at the unexpected shyness, a surge of confidence bursting through me as I realized I was the one that made him feel this way.

"I have a tank top under this," I replied before lifting the jersey over my head. He turned around so his back was towards me. Such a gentleman. I put his jersey over my head and inhaled, it smelt just like him. It nearly reached my knees and the sleeves swallowed my arms.

"You can look," I told him once the jersey was on me properly. He turned around, gave me a once over and smiled.

"See, now that is what I'm talking about." He replied, his voice full of triumph as his eyes scanned my body. "One look at this and everyone out there will know that you're mine." He gazed up at me happily before adding, "now no one should still be doubting our relationship."