Chapter 20

"YOU'VE HELD MY CLIENT FOR THIRTY-SEVEN HOURS NOW." Golden leaned forward and folded his hands on the table in front of him. "I trust you haven't found anything significant with his DNA or charges would have been laid already."

She knew how many hours they had held Layton and how many they were entitled to. "We have another thirty-five to hold him legally without pressing charges. And for a man who knows the law, you know we are within our right to extend that time should we feel it necessary."

"And risk a lawsuit."

"Is that a threat, Mr. Golden?"

"It will be a lawsuit against the entire department. Are you willing to risk your career on a possibility?"

Golden had seen through her. He sensed her doubts. Someone rapped on the door. Terry rose to answer it and returned with a file in his hand.

Madison locked eyes with Golden as she rose to her feet and left the room to meet with her partner in the hall.

*****

TERRY STOOD OVER HER AS SHE READ THE RESULTS. "DNA is a match to one profile pulled from hairs off the comforter..." She scanned down. "Negative match to the epithelial found on the tie. Shit."

"This is great news."

"How is that?"

"We can put him in that room."

"He's already explained that part."

"That's only his word. We have enough to establish a case based upon motive, character, and relationship with the deceased."

"Certainly not based on his background record. There are no prior assaults in his file."

Terry moved toward the interrogation room door, then paused with his hand resting on the knob. "Maddy, listen to me. This is our guy."

"Don't tell me I go by gut feelings."

"This isn't the same thing. He had a reason. Years ago, prior to fingerprinting and DNA, he'd have been charged."

She hated being forced to do something she didn't feel was right. The scientific advances in forensics were invaluable to holding the guilty liable and keeping the innocent out of prison. Why could they manage to rush through a DNA for Layton while the towel sat waiting its turn? The sergeant obviously put no more credence in her Photo Guy philosophy than her partner. He had already convicted Layton. Why did anyone else need to be considered?

*****

MADISON FELT LAYTON'S EYES ON her every step as she came into the room. She took a seat in the chair across from him and slapped the file on the table. She addressed Golden. "The results have come back from the lab."

"And what were the findings?" Golden pulled down on his suit jacket.

"We did find your client's DNA—"

"You said they wouldn't find anything!" Layton jolted to his feet and confronted his lawyer.

"Actually you said that." Golden didn't seem affected by the outburst.

"I trusted you."

Madison said, "Maybe it's about time you learned the lesson you can't trust everyone. Especially lawyers." She noticed Golden's jaw line tighten. She continued. "Your DNA was found in Laura's bedroom."

"I told you I was there." Layton paced the room.

"Please sit down." Madison motioned with her arms, but Layton refused to sit.

Golden leaned forward, clasped his hands. "This won't stick. Any jury will see through this."

Madison ignored him and opened the file folder. It was Terry and the sergeant who were more eager to close the case than to find the truth. Maybe their sheer ambition and determination blinded them. They would have preferred to lay charges if anything came back a match to his DNA. But the hair was such a ludicrous and pathetic basis. It would never hold up in court. And when it came to Layton's prints on the cuffs, he had provided a plausible explanation for that.

The truth was he didn't match the DNA on the tie, and the only evidence that could cement his presence within the window of the murder was a common-sized print impression made by cheap runners. If he had watched or been involved somehow, the forensic evidence failed to prove it. No timeline on hair. No timeline on fingerprints. No eyewitness who could put Layton there early enough Sunday morning. And then there was the other set of prints on the cuffs that were unaccounted for, culminating in too many holes for her liking.

She pulled out a photo, pushed it in front of Layton. She noticed Terry roll his eyes and turn his head to the side. "You recognized him?"

"I told you that. He was there that night at the bar, and he went home with Laura."

"You also said you had a bad feeling about him. Why?"

Silence.

"What are you hiding from us? Who is he?"

Silence.

She knew Terry wasn't going to be happy with the direction this was about to take. "We know you didn't kill Laura."

Golden snorted a laugh. "We will be leaving now." He went to get up.

"You know something." Madison appealed to Layton.

"It doesn't matter. She's dead."

"We can leave. Let's go." Golden put a hand on Layton's shoulder. It was quickly shrugged off.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"You're a free man. She just said—"

"You leave then. I'm staying." Layton took a seat. Tears came from the edges of his eyes. He wiped them.

"I'm your attorney and—"

"Now, you're fired."

Golden's jaw tightened and his fist clenched. He nodded toward Madison and Terry and left the room. With him gone, Madison continued to feel his presence. 

Enjoying this Madison Knight novel? There are 8 other published titles in this series.

For more information on available titles in the Detective Madison Knight series visit http://carolynarnold.net/detective-madison-knight-series/