Chapter 19

Chapter 19

We sat in silence a little while. I was trying to reach through the school to make sure Octavian and Alyssa stayed alive.

"Can you explain one thing to me?" Nile asked.

"What?"

"If Hayden is your sister-"

Then I cut her off as I felt something. "Shut up. They're in trouble."

I closed my eyes. Octavian was fighting something off, and Alyssa was running. I could tell because Octavian was losing power energy and Alyssa was losing health energy. Each had a distinctive feeling, and they took different energy to heal, which was better for me.

I was very focused, until a banging sound snapped me out of it. I looked at the locked door as someone from the other side tried to break it down.

"Keep going," Nile told me. "I'll take care of them."

I nodded and closed my eyes again. Alyssa was running from something, and I kept her supplied as she went faster, faster, faster. Until she stopped.

Octavian wasn't as good as she was. He was being drained fast, and it was all I could do to keep him going and keep tabs on Alyssa too.

I opened my eyes for a second as the door was knocked down and Nile was sent flying across the room. I stood up.

"No!" she yelled.

I could tell Alyssa and Octavian were ok, but I couldn't do anything to help them when we were under attack. I ran over to Nile and helped her to her feet. The room was being flooded with Searchers.

"We have to get to my room," I whispered to her.

"Why?" she asked.

"Trust me."

Nile nodded. "Run. I'll catch up." Then the ground below up collapsed. The second I got up, I started running. Every other step, I checked on Octavian and Alyssa. Alyssa was fine, but Octavian was losing strength fast. I reached out to him as much as I could, but that was a little hard when I was running for my life.

After weaving through the hallways and making a few detours because of the Searchers, I made it to my dorm room. I unlocked the door and went inside.

I knew I should have checked on Alyssa and Octavian at this point, but I couldn't. I had to do something else first. I dug through my drawers and grabbed my sister's mask. Once I had it in my hand, I connected with Alyssa and Octavian. Something with definitely wrong with Alyssa, and Octavian was doing worse. I switched the mask on and kept it in my lap as I sat on the edge of my bed.

I had to heal Octavian. I was focused on him because he was worse off. Once he was better, he could defend Alyssa when I helped her. No matter what I did, it seemed like Octavian kept getting worse.

The door opened and Nile ran inside, out of breath. I looked at her for a second, but her eyes were on Hayden's mask, which was glowing in my lap.

"They don't have a lot of time," I told her.

"Do whatever you need to."

I had secured the strongest connection I ever had with Octavian, and for a second I could feel him getting better. And then something came out of nowhere. I gasped and channeled everything I had into one last push to save him. I knew I couldn't go on much longer.

I threw everything I had at him, and for a moment I lost hope.

And then I could feel him recover. I breathed a sigh of relief. I still felt like I had ran to the moon and back, but Octavian was ok.

I turned my attention to Alyssa. She was ok. I closed my eyes and tried to recover myself while keeping tabs on them.

All of a sudden, I felt something cold. Something dark. It wasn't the darkness. It was something else. I grabbed my side in pain. Nile rushed over to me.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. I couldn't do anything. I could feel emptiness. It wasn't pain, exactly, not anymore, just the feeling of everything leaving. Closure.

And that was the moment I realized what was going on.

"What's wrong?" Nile repeated.

I looked down at my lap, and the only thing I could see was the silver glow from my sister's mask as the room began to spin and fade away.

"They killed her," I mumbled as Nile caught me when I slumped over.