Chapter 11

I was still shook with the events I had to overcome today. Sitting in the waiting room in front of the infirmary only made me feel more anxious and worried than I already was. The warden was quick to come, after being informed of what had happened in my office earlier, and hadn't left Lloyd's side ever since. I guess I could say that I was forbidden to come inside but as much as I was curious what was happening between those four walls, I took some time to relax myself.

Aaron was almost always by my side, asking me if everything was alright with me. When he realized that I'm in no mood for talking, he silenced himself up and left me alone a few minutes ago.

Thousands of questions yet again swirled in my mind. What could possibly made Lloyd set me up? And the thing I feared the most was the fact that maybe there actually was someone who wanted to get rid of me.

Or maybe the spot that I was owning in this place.

My thoughts suddenly came to a halt once the door of infirmary opened and revealed the warden along with the nurse I had not seen before.

''I don't care what he says, there's obviously something going on and I intend to figure it out.'' Warden's voice was very stern and loud, just to be clear she heard him right, ''Do what you have to do but you're not going to get him out of this one.''

She looked helpless from where I could see and nodded her head in defeat, ''Yes, Sir.''

Warden's eyes found mine and, for some odd reason, I feared for what might happen. I knew that there was absolutely nothing to blame me for but I still couldn't erase that uneasy feeling.

''Miss Tennyson. Come with me.''

The nurse, who was facing me with her back, finally turned around and gave me a better look at her facial structure. If I were to judge, I'd say she was in her early thirties. She was sad, it didn't take much to puzzle it out, and the way she looked at me was only a slight warning that nothing good may come out of the conversation the warden and I were about to have.

I gave her a small assuring smile, knowing that was as helpless as she, and followed warden's suit against my will. He was quiet at all times and it kind of scared me.

By the time we reached his office, I realized Nira was nowhere to be seen. I wondered if she avoided her boss, once she found out how grumpy he looked like.

''Sit down.'' He basically commanded as we entered his spacey office.

He loosed his tie a little bit and sighed out loud as if he was tired with everything that was bothering him, looking me directly in my eyes, ''You have to be honest with me, Miss. I have a feeling that we'll have to open up an investigation and if we do, everything that you keep away from me or soon-to-be federal prosecutor, will be used against you and you might even go to jail because of it.''

My eyes immediately widened at the mention of jail. I couldn't let that happen but, on the other hand, there was Lloyd whom I wanted to protect at all cost.

''Would an investigation really be necessary, warden? As far as I know, he hasn't done anything illegal.'' That was a lie but I had to keep my false cover.

He wasn't buying my bullshit and I was aware, ''Miss, I know that you probably think he doesn't belong here because he only committed a crime once in his lifetime and now he has to suffer a few years before he could return to his old life. But that's the thing. He has no one. And once he's out, he'll have nowhere to go. Since you're a psychologist, can you tell me if there's any possibility that prisoner just doesn't want to go out of here and stay so he can provide himself a good life, as he sees it?''