Chapter I

"Avery Jones." I raise my hand, smiling brightly.

"Present!"

Mrs. Dixon makes eye contact with someone in the front row then arches an eyebrow. That person doesn't meet her gaze though.

"Avery Noel Jones." He finally turns to her.

"It's not the first day, you know what I look like. I'm obviously here." She sighs while the class laughs. This is a daily occurrence of mine. I lower my hand as I sneak a glance at Avery. He still has his same indifferent face as he gets his notebook out of his book bag. I, Avery Jones, happen to be in love with Avery Jones. As silly as it may sound. He's unlike the other boys at this school. Smart, blunt yet nonchalant, not to mention extremely attractive. I'm actually surprised he doesn't get a confession every other day. Then again I don't mind, considering I want him.

"Ava." I turn my head to Carla. She's one of those class buddies. You know, the person you befriend for that class, or however many classes, you guys have together.

"Yes, Carla?" She plays with her pencil, focusing on it.

"For a perfectionist, you're easily distracted." My eyes get so substantial they practically fall out my head. She smirks and as soon as we make eye contact, my face is in flames. My hand instantly shots up while my gaze moves to Mrs. Dixon.

"Ava."

"May I go to the restroom, please?" She smiles at my flustered expression.

"Sure, hon." I quickly yet elegantly walk out the door, but not before glancing at Avery. He's resting his head on his hand as he lazily holds his pencil. He doesn't spare a single glance. When I reach the little girl's room I cover my face.

"I'm so obvious!" Ugh, why does he do this? I peek through my hand to look at my reflection. Then I squat so that my face is level with the sink as my hands hold onto the counter. Now all the mirror sees is my eyes and everything above them.

"He's so frustrating." I sigh, standing up and turn around to lean against the sink.

"She's even worse though." That class is the only one I have with Avery and she always has to convey something.

"Carla is so mean." I pout. I stare down at my purity ring. Then subconsciously twist it. You assume, with us being one of the smartest, we'd have more classes together. I shake my head, turning back to the mirror. Fixing any flaws that came about during my freak out then slashing my face with cold water, I left the restroom. Once I sit back in my seat I sigh. After all these years and he still, doesn't notice me. Maybe I should've listened to Melissa's advice that day.

"Dude, if you want the 'D' that bad then just ask." I jump a little as I quickly turn to Carla while she laughs. I cover my face with my hands.

"You're foul." She makes a beat on the desk with her pencil.

"Says the cherry red tomato!" She sings. I peek through my fingers at her.

"Bro, I bet he'd demolish you." I slam my head on the desk, wailing. She makes a humming sound.

"Actually, he is white so..." The bell rings and I quickly shoot up, grabbing my things.

"See you later, gotta go to health!" I rush out as I head for the door, trying to get through everyone.

"So you could learn more 'bout that male reproductive system!" She shouts as I exit the door. I hide my face in my binder.

"Jordan!"

"Sorry." I giggle, lowering my binder then smile at my shoes. Thanks, Mrs. Dixon.

"Someone seems happy." I look up to make eye contact with Jade. I nod.