2- A Visit to Liver

Is Liver a Trash Can?

In the morning when I woke up, Farooq was already awake. Together we wake everybody up, prayed salat-ul-fajr and sat down for breakfast.

"Now children were do you want to go next?" I asked over breakfast.

"I want to go to the heart!" Umar spoke abruptly.

"No!" said Ali. "I wanna go to the brain!"

"We will first go to the lungs!" Ahmed had a choice too but Farooq was silent lost in his thoughts.

"You all have provided good options" I said, " but we have to go to nearest possible destination, heart,lungs and brain are too far.The blood, when it comes from digestive system, immediately enters into the liver,so we can go first to the Liver , agreed?"

When all agreed,I started the ship. We had parked our ship between the villi, we enter in the blood capillary of a villus,than go through hepatic portal vein,reached the liver,it took only few a seconds, and we were in the liver.

Upon arriving the children were astonished.

"It feels like this is our body's one big organ," someone commented.

"Yes the lever is located a little beneath the rib cage and touching the diaphragm of the chest," Ali said.

"Look there is work going on everywhere," Omer contributed to the conversation

"It looks like a big factory or a laboratory," Ahmed also added.

"Liver has many parts, each part is carrying out different tasks assigned to them." I told the children.

"Where did all the glucose molecules go that had enter the liver with us?" A worried Ahmed asked.

"Oh! No need to worry, look the liver is getting hold off the extra glucose that is entering, converting it into glycogen and then it is storing the glycogen in its cabinets."

"This is done by liver for a short time." I explained.

"Sir! But why it's capturing and storing?" Ali was curious too.

"Baba! It's Allah's gifted system,in accordance to the instructions from the brain, the liver does the job to maintain the composition and construction of the blood in a narrow limits. The liver is capturing the extra glucose so that the composition falls in the limit, if all this is not done, we can't live."

If there is more extra glucose turned in glycogen and the liver cabinets are filled, than it is stored in the muscles, but on need it can't be reshaped into glucose, but it is used as reserve energy needed for muscles itself.

"Sir! How all these tasks are fabricated?" Farooq was curious too.

"To turn glucose into glycogen or vise, Allah Rubb ta'ala has gifted liver two types of enzymes."