20

"21 degrees C and dropping," George relates, looking down at his watch. I continue to look around from my spot in the back corner to gain my bearings.

"death glow spotted." Lockwood adds, pointing towards the left front area, directly across from me.

It's about 9:30 now, and we've been here a little over half an hour. I lean back into the wall behind me, hoping for a hint of where the boy had hidden the locket. I wait. Nothing.

"Have anything, Luce?" I hear George ask. 

"Not yet." I respond.

A swirl of ghost fog starts to whirl around my feet, and I pop a piece of spearmint gum into my mouth.

"Above you, Lucy." I hear the skull jar say.

I look up and a wispy apparition has formed. I lock my eyes on it and decide to let it come into better view before telling the boys.

I begin to pick up some static, a usual noise for a type two.

I focus on the ghost, intent on speaking with it.

"Susan," I hear it say.

"There's another one Lucy." The skull jar pushes into my mind.

I look up and it's just above the first apparition .

"Lockwood," I say in a light voice, "we have company, lockwood."

He turns around and notices our two friends.

"I wonder why there's two?" He asks in voice much higher and cheesier than his own.

"That's a good question, Lockwood. I wonder why I hadn't been thinking that already." I say still high-pitched, but sarcastically.

"Hey, Lucy! This is no time to argue!" George butts in, sounding overly cheesy.

I reach to my utility belt, and pull out a salt bomb. It sails towards the two ghosts and explodes, taking them with it.

"Suicide. Lover's suicide." I tell the guys.

"I agree, where would they have died, is the question." says George.

"The only thing we can do is search, I guess." Lockwood finishes.

.............................

"The death glow is brighter, and I can see another one next to it." Lockwood exclaims.

"I think there is a locket somewhere. Like, Susan must be his girl friend, right?" George wonders aloud.

I begin to feel my skin prickle, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

"They're back." I say, turning around to see a faint sign of ghost fog around a crate against the wall in the back left corner.

"Let's use another salt bomb and get the fog cleared so we can have a look back there." Lockwood decides.

After the salt bomb is thrown we grab our chains and make way to the crate. Inside isn't anything special, just a few old lanterns and a couple of bottles of oil. We move it out of our way and find nothing but a cock roach underneath it.

"I guess we dig..." George trails off.

The three of us start in different areas in the corner, widening the space of our search to make sure that we cover everything and miss nothing. We took some shovels from the wall of tools and begin to look.