[Chapter Twelve]

The walk back had been quiet, uneventful, and awkward. Adam hadn't spoken to me much, either unsure of what to talk about, or unwilling to converse. Either way it suited me. I had no desire to explain myself to him, or to talk about what I had done. Soon enough we had surfaced again, climbing up into the dirty streets to wander together back to the hotel.

Streetlamps beckoned us along, their warm, flickering lights like arms guiding us home. I wondered what Malik was up to, and how much later he would be back. I remembered the fury in his eyes, and also the fear, and tight iron bands were wrought around my heart painfully. We passed by an older man who tipped his hat to us, his bright eyes watching us intently. I recognised him from the hotel and realised Nathan had posted sentries to welcome us back. A second later a woman of similar age rounded a corner, her hands holding a lamp and a pistol. She gave me a determined nod, and I felt my chin dip in response.

"One stands tall, above six others." The man said softly as he stepped towards us, his voice smooth. I felt a spark of recognition, remembering back to when we had first met Nylan.

"Seven targets," I said slowly, "Seven weeping mothers."

"Good to see you alive." The man said with a tiny smile, his eyes scouring the darkness behind me, "But where is the other one? The male?"

"He... he had to finish something alone." I said stiffly, dropping my gaze. I turned to Adam who stood silently, waiting.

"You can walk the rest of the way with them." I said quietly, not quite meeting his eyes, "They'll keep you safe now." He nodded, glancing at the woman and her steady hands. No doubt he trusted their ability more than mine, and was more than willing to exchange guards.

I turned and walked away, moving towards the closest building. Before they had left I began climbing, fingers digging into stone and wood. More than once I slipped, but I stubbornly continued, letting the dark energy buzz through me like alcohol. Above me fresh rain fell, making the climb only more difficult, and mist congregated below, waiting as if to cushion me if I fell.

My senses grew stronger, my eyes finding footholds where before there had been none. I slithered over an overhanging vent, crouching lightly on top of the metal. Down below I could see the disappearing lamp of Adam and his escort as they rounded a street bend. A soft, icy wind tugged at my hair, egging me on, and I hurried after it as if I could keep up.

I leapt, hands gripping the edge of the roof, the guttering cutting into my palm. I pushed aside the pain, swinging up and over, landing heavily on my knees. Dim moonlight drifted down onto me, struggling through the cloud cover, and I could see the rooves dotted out around me. Some windows were lit, others dark, and in the distance I could see the border, lit up like day.

I knew if I moved parallel to the border I would come to the ocean once more, and a sudden desire to see the water filled me. A voice of caution spoke up inside me, warning against it. Enough had happened tonight, and I had no desire to face Malik's fury again if I got into more trouble.

What if I had to kill again?

But I resented the idea of sitting in my room, waiting for him to come back and lecture me some more. Loathed the idea of waiting for those cold grey eyes to glare at me with anger and disappointment. I began running, letting my body move without thought. It was easier to move than it was to sit and think. The wind howled against me, joyous at my challenge, and we raced each other over the buildings. The feeling of air beneath me was becoming a familiar, almost enjoyed sensation, as my feet pedalled and I felt like I was flying.