If I had a Tail

If I had a Tail

©10.24.2017, Olan L. Smith

As a non-driver, I spend a lot of time waiting for my rides, but today I have nothing better to do than be a people watcher. In fact today, a female people is with me as we sit outside for our ride home, but I digress. First, I should tell you what happened in the clinic. The weather is nice, mid 60's, and the trip across town is uneventful. We walk into the building, get on the elevator and get off on the second floor. It is a short walk from the elevator to the doctor's office, and in no time we are in his waiting room. I walk up to the receptionist. I give her my medicine list and she looks at me kind of weirdly, as she searches her computer. I knew then I had the wrong day, but it happens; sometimes I screw up an appointment, and it's no biggie. I ask her, "Can you squeeze me in?" She gives me a pained look, like she's going to tell me I am dying rather than refuse me.

"No, the Doctor is on a tight schedule." I looked around the waiting room and no one was there, not a soul. "He has to leave the office." Okay, I think sure doctors have to make rounds, and he is leaving early, and so I leave my med list with her.

I say, "Well, that's okay. I have to do a blood test for the last visit, but can you print out a new directive for the 'vampire lady' downstairs." She knows what I mean and says, yes. I take the freshly printed doctor's directive in my hand, and my friend and I walk out of the office. As we walk to the elevator we admire the many paintings hanging in the hallway that are painted by a local artist. We arrive at the phlebotomist station on the first floor just in time to hear the receptionist/phlebotomist try to give directions to a female people standing at the counter.

The phlebotomist says to the female people, "You go south." She points west. Turn and go east," she points west. The people standing at the counter looks confused, and she stares at me with a plea for help written on her face. "I will show you, the phlebotomist says."

I volunteered, "I will show her, you stay here." I know she is not supposed to leave her station.

I place my directive for the phlebotomist on the counter and walk back out the front door, and show the female people the building she needed to go to for her next medical examination. She says, "Oh, thank you, she had me so confused."

I turned around and noticed my friend had followed us. We return together to get my blood drawn. After the draw, my friend and I sat outside for our ride back to my place, but we had an hour to wait. I notice a young strawberry blond little person bound out the door with enthusiasm. She turns and runs like the wind back to the door. She places her hands on the glass to peer in. She turns and runs back toward the parking lot. She heads for a pick up trunk and jumps into the bed and hides. I turn to the clinics exit door and see her father exit. I said to my friend, "She is hiding from her father."

My friend says, "Remember when we were young and had that much energy. Look, he is turning his head from side-to-side looking for her."

"I think he knows exactly where she is. I am sure she has done that before." He nears the truck and I see the young girl's head pop up. He doesn't seem too impressed by her game. I say, "A daddy's girl no doubt."

My friend nods, and says, "No doubt."

Our attention turns to a jeep pulling up in the circle driving directly in front of us. The passenger, a late twentyish male people opens the passenger side door and starts to get out, but quickly puts his legs back in the jeep and closes the door, and waits for the young driver to open it for him. I asked my friend, "What's their story?"