two

CHAPTER TWO!
002. Kick and scream

||CAR RADIO ||❝ Sometimes quiet is violent, I find it hardto hide it

||CAR RADIO ||
Sometimes quiet is
violent, I find it hard
to hide it.

➳➳

THE WHOLE WORLD felt like it had stopped turning. The air was stagnant as it floated around my nose; I could smell the warmth of it as I focused on anything other than what was on the screen or what was happening right underneath my nose. There was no longer a clear image, instead the room had turned into a plethora of shapes that made an horrendous sound that seemed muffled to me.

Despite my efforts, my bottom lip began to tremble as I gripped the cushions of the chair I was on even tighter until it pushed one of my bitten nails into my skin. I could feel the hysteria bubbling up within me like boiled water, but instead of letting it out, I tried desperately to run away from it like Evelyn did by simply closing her eyes and letting the phrase sink in. I managed to make it off of the couch and passed the glass coffee table that had two distinctive rings where my mug had been placed before I felt my knees buckle and my legs give way.

It was like all the light had drained from the world, I didn't see the bright purple colour of Lillian's robe or the dark emerald green paint on one of the four walls in the living room. Everything had turned impossibly grey. Then I began to shake.

Through my muffled hearing I could just about identify the knocks coming from my door and my sister's high-pitched gasp as I fell. The bang was constant although for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to stop the loud noise it was making. The sound that was so similar to the sound of a cannon; I could almost feel the blood trickling down my arm from my last kill as I found the spot that the spark from the fire had landed on.

Still, I had to move, I had to get the door.

I tried to stand up from the floor as my wrists began to click into place but my arms couldn't lift me; they had become so fragile that I felt as if my wrists snapped when the rug underneath me slipped against the varnished wood. I tumbled again but this time an uncontrollable sob shook through my bones as I did. I had failed even the simplest tasks; I had let myself cry in front of my mentor- in front of my sister- when they had been able to keep themselves planted firmly on the ground.

I could see a familiarity in my sister's eyes as she watched me scream simply to see if I could hear it underneath the muffled noise; she didn't even cover her ears at the volume of it. She flinched, but she didn't have to block it out anymore, not as Evelyn rushed up from her seat to take my sister up to her overly large room given to her by the Capitol.

The tremor in my hands had become so violent that I couldn't even hold myself off of the ground, but I still tried to stand up again. I was sure I was screaming louder than the first time, even if I didn't hear it increase in volume. The pounding on the door only partially blocked it out.