Ch. 4- Misery Loves Company

"Tears dry, but the pain drowns." 

**

"Please, one more drink?" I begged the bartender. I waved the glass in front of him as he looked at me like he was ready to quit. I hope he does.

"Haven't you had enough, you had ten shots already?" he asked. 

"Yes, and I want eleven." I demanded. "So give me another."

He rolled his eyes without saying anything else, going to the top shelf and grabbing the most expensive bottle that they had. He poured the liquid into the glass for me, walking away from me suddenly.

I let out a sigh while I picked up the glass and took a sip. Of course, it burned my throat like sandpaper but I didn't care. I want to be able to feel something other than this pain.

I placed the glass down on the wooden table, staring at the brown liquid. My mother would scold me for drinking this. She would say, "Eleanor, you may be a vampire but that doesn't make you old enough to drink." In which I reply, "Fuck you mom, I can do what I want."

Suddenly, I realized that someone sat down on the bar stool next to me which made me turn my head. I recognized her immediately but I could force a smile at her. Not to anyone anymore.

Her golden locks were cut up above her shoulders, which looked good on her. I remember that she would say that she would never cut her hair short, but I guess war changes people.

And Grace did change. I've been her best friend for centuries now,  and I could see that she has. She was sad, probably because her mother left her when she young, leaving her with her father who worked for us. And now, well, she is just angry. At everything that happened, I'm guessing.

"How many of you had?" she asked angrily. 

"Ten," I said blankly. I picked up the small glass and drank all the brown liquid in a second, making sure that she watched. It was starting to cancel out my thoughts,  in which it was making me slightly better. I turned to her once more and gave her a small smile. "Now eleven." I said.

Grace let out an angry sigh as she raised one finger in the air, signaling to the bartender to get her one herself. I narrowed my eyes at her, wondering what she was doing. "You know your not supposed to be drinking." she said flatly, the bartender now pouring her a shot.

I turned to her, my violet eyes looking into her bright blue ones. "What are you, my big brother? And why are you having a shot anyway?" I said to her a little too rudely. But I didn't care. I was sick of everyone telling me that my way of grieving is the wrong way. My brother wouldn't even mention them at all, and I couldn't see how he could do it. It made no sense.

"Well I need one following you across the country for four months," she started to say. "and speaking of your brother, have you called him back yet?"

"Nope," I said, raising the glass in the air again. I didn't want to talk to my family any longer, I just wanted to get drunk. Or try to anyway.

"Are you ever going to?" Grace questioned, raising an eyebrow. The bartender poured another shot, unknowing of my tolerance of alcohol.

I drank another shot of the liquid, burning my throat once more. "Nope." I said dryly, setting the glass down again.

"You should, it sounds important," she said finally, making me turn toward her again.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I questioned, wanting the truth from her. But I would never use my powers against her. Not if she asked me too.