Chapter 13: The Good Doctor

Harper stood in the foyer of the Fulton estate. She tugged at the cuff of her long-sleeved Dolce & Gabbana majolica blue printed top that matched her brocade shorts. Her honey eyes were still in the hallway the maid disappeared down after letting her in.

Harper let out an anxiety-riddled breath and dipped into the room at her side. The crème walls; and classic black and white family portraits complemented the taupe sofa and armchairs. The living room reminded her of the formal living room at her home—the one that was dubbed the waiting room. It was where prestigious visitors and reporters communed since her mother didn't want anyone other than family and close friends trooping through what she called her humble abode.

Harper stopped swiping his finger along the edge of the streak-free glass table adorned with lilies and a book with Norman Rockwell paintings when her ears picked up the clicking of heels.

June sashayed into the living with a gold tray of tea-filled cups and petite fours. A thought flickered in Harper's head. She heard the rumors about Dr. Fulton sneaking around with other women and she wondered why would a man with a wife and two daughters cheat.

June wasn't the finest wine on the shelf but she could still be stowed in the wine cellar. She was classic in a black knit turtleneck, a white flared skirt stopping just below the knees, and low black pumps. Her hair was swiped back in a ponytail the short pieces hung by her ears as if she was busy working hard dusting armories and waxing floors. She couldn't believe it if she didn't greet the maid on the way in.

"It's a great pleasure for you to stop by unannounced." June croaked as she placed the tray on the table, then handed her a cup.

Harper picked up on the mild irritation in her voice and didn't want to irk the woman anymore so she accepted the tea even though she had to get back to the office in twenty minutes.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I am." Harper nervously smiled as she held the fine handle of the dainty teacup.

"No." June flicked her wrist as if she was swatting Harper's words away. "It's a privilege to have a Chambers in my little home."

Harper's eyes fluttered to the stone floor in the hallway and the stairwell that led to the upstairs. The colonial manor was nowhere near a little home. Now, it wasn't as grandiose as hers but not at all was it little, which had Harper a little confused. How could Dr. Fulton afford a double-digit million-dollar house as a psychologist?

June swiped down her dress as she sat in the middle of the couch, "I saw your mother's photo shoot in Dazzle. She gets more beautiful every year. Does she age?" The fortyish woman smiled showing laugh lines at the corners of her mouth.

"Yeah, she does." Harper took a sip of the warm tea. Is that gyokuro green tea? Harper wondered as she took another sip peeking over the rim of the cup. "But it's the melanin." Harper shrugged. "It's like...Teflon to wrinkles."

June nodded. "Splendid." She dragged out the word as she watched Harper nurse the tea. June sat her hands on her lap, "What's the meaning of this visit today? How can I help you?"

"Oh!" Harper lowered the teacup from her face and wiped away the steam that misted the top of her lip with the back of her hand, "I didn't come to see you. I came for Dr. Fulton." Her eyes fluttered to the hallway. "Isn't he coming? I thought you were just entertaining me." She gestured to June.

"Umm," June muttered, her face going pale. "He's in his office...working. Umm." June slowly stood. "But I'm sure he'd love to see a former student."

"I'd love that." Harper tried her best to be delicate as she sat the teacup on the tray but she sloshed a little tea on the coffee table, which earned her a low sigh from June. "Lead the way." She gestured for the woman to proceed.