[ Chapter 3: Pain ]

Alexia stepped on the path of wolfsbane, she wanted to curse so bad but she couldn't. The burning pain shattered through her whole body. She let her tears fall as she continued to walk.

Her knees were betraying her, she fell down. Now, it's not only her feet that ached, she could feel her hands as if it's on fire. "Get up!" Alpha Zachary screamed. He's enjoying the view of having his mate in pain.

Shakily, she stood up but it was hopeless. She crawled, scattering the pain even more. Silver is worst than wolfsbane but it still hurts. She's been in pain for two days, no food, no water. She did everything to surpass his mate's way of torturing her.

Alexia tried to use the strength she had left to look up at Alpha Zachary's eyes. While the wolfsbane burned through her skin, she captured his gaze. Deep yellow dilated eyes looked back at hers. She feared his burning anger towards her, all because she left him.

Only if he could know why, Alexia whispered to herself.

When she reached the end of the trail of wolfsbane, she waited for the alpha's order. Blood was all over her knees, feet, and hands. What pained her the most is not recognizing her mate. Although she knows deep down, she still doesn't understand why her wolf is silent.

"Do you feel the pain, Alexia?" Alpha Zachary looked at her, he already knew how much he hurt her. Not only physically but emotionally. He made her walk in what feels like broken glass.

As Alexia stood up, she weakly answered, "Yes, alpha." She felt her defeat, never has she called her mate as 'alpha.' Even though she was never recognized by everyone as 'luna,' they were still equal.

"That's nothing compared to seven damn years of pain you put me through. Years of walking without you, that's how I fucking felt, Alexia!" He growled. Now she understands his game, he's making her feel all the pain.

"Hurt me, torture me, punish me, Zach. Do everything as you wish but please, never ever hurt Zoe." She begged. Again, she fell on her knees. Bringing them close to her chest as she wept. She wants to protect her daughter so bad but she doesn't even know where she is.

"I'll make you feel the pain, Alexia. Unless you tell me the reason why you left me and I might even give you the slightest chance out of your own hell." She knew that she'll never be able to tell him. Alexia knew that no matter what, she'll choose to protect herself and her daughter even if it means rejecting her mate.

"I, Alexia Pierce, rejects you, Alpha Zachary Harrison as my -" Before she could even finish, Alpha Zachary grabbed her by the throat and pinned her against the wall. His grip was excruciatingly painful.

"No one rejects me, Alexia. Not even you. Don't think that because I haven't marked you means I never will. You can try but I will never..." He tightened his grip, even more, making Alexia beg for mercy. "...ever accept your rejection, not even until I know the fucking reason why you ran away, understood?!"

He released Alexia making her fall onto the floor, gasping for air. She's never been in so much pain and what saddens her the most is that the one giving her the most unbearable pain is her own mate.

"Guards! Take her down to the dungeons, no food, no water until I say so." Alpha Zachary walked out of the room bringing his fury with him and leaving his helpless mate behind.

Alexia couldn't utter a single word due to exhaustion. She silently begged for the moon goddess to keep her little daughter safe. She knows that deep down Zach's heart is a tiny feeling of love he still has for her. With that, he won't hurt his little daughter.

She couldn't believe herself when she almost rejected her mate. Even though it's been seven long years, Alpha Zachary didn't let her. It gives her the tiniest bit of comfort that he doesn't want their bond to completely vanish, or is it just because he doesn't want to be weakened by rejection.

When she was brought back to the cell, she wasn't shackled in silver. Sighing in relief, she sat on the far corner and let her wolf come to the surface. She needed to release for her to be able to recover from the pain of silver. She took off her clothes and shifted.

In her wolf form, she could barely stand with her four legs. Her vision was spinning because of the darkness. One thing she felt was the scent of her daughter. It was faint but with her wolf instincts, it's heightened. She now knows that her daughter is still here, alive.

After roaming around the four corners of her cell, she shifted back to her human form. Still weak but she's healed. She doesn't know how she could rest herself with the lack of food and water. She knows that she could do something but she's too afraid to be caught.

Alexia never dared to do it, ignoring it is the reason why up to now she's alive. At the same time, it's also the reason why she left her life, to protect herself and Zoe. Since she can't do anything about her situation, she decided to drift into deep slumber.

When her eyes drooped down, she jumped at the sound of a loud bang. Because of that, she's fully awake. Cursing the sound, Alexia decided to relax again until her eyes felt heavy once more. Just as she was about to close it, a loud bang erupted into her ears.

"Shut up!" She screamed even though she doesn't know what or who is causing the thunderous sounds.

All she wanted was to rest. Her body was beyond exhausted. Every cell and limbs on her body are giving up on her. She feels like any second, they'll fall from her body.

"I will not let you sleep until you tell me your reasons," growled Alpha Zachary.