1.24: In Which They Fail

Frank angrily rubs at his eye. "It's been months with no success."

     Luis shrugs. "There's no explanation for it. 254's sperm is above average and 391 is ovulating fine. No cysts or scar tissue. It... Seems to be a case of unexplained infertility. Of course, they haven't been trying for over a year yet-"

     "We cannot wait a year, Doctor Ford! The war has already started. Lab 6 has been destroyed and I have the council on my case-"

     "If you can't handle the pressure, Frank, perhaps you should step down," he said coolly.

     "Of course I can," Frank shoots him a deadly glare. "I'm simply... Venting."

     Luis gives him a look which screams I don't believe you. Frank ignores it.

     "I will give them one more month to conceive."

     "And then what?"

     "And then I'm requesting Subject 81."

     - - 

      Two weeks later

     391's back arches in pleasure as 254 pounds into her from behind. They lay on their sides, her back to his front; his arm laid under her head where he held her hand. His other digits dig into her hip.

  "God," she manages to gasp when he hits her g-spot.

    "Yeah? Right there, baby?" He hooks his arm around her the back of her knee, and does it again. "That the spot?"

     "Yes! Oh yes!" Her fifth orgasm of the night was approaching.

     "Rub your clit for me, baby."

     She slips a hand between her legs and tries not to cry at how full, stretched, and amazing she feels. "I'm-!"

     He growls, chest vibrating in a manner only The Beast can control. She's prepared for his teeth this time when they sink into her shoulder, triggering both their orgasms.

     Coming down, she feels giddy, and the heat disappears thanks to 254's sperm. She turns around, ignoring the stickiness on her thighs. She can't miss this moment. She never did.

     "Hi again," she grins, placing her hand on his cheek and staring straight into the eyes of The Beast.

     "Mate," he rumbles.

     She giggles. 254 had already told her that he had a crush on her. "Mate," she repeats and the purring in his chest kicks up a notch.

     Ever since she'd found out about the Animals existsance, she'd been overly curious, begging 254 to let him out. He agreed, and when they next had sex, and 254 briefly lost control, he appeared.

     He reminded her of a dog, or a puppy. But more dangerous

     Not to her though. She knew in her heart he would never be a danger to her.

     The Beast leans forward and licks the place where he bit her. It hurt, and was sore because of the previous bite-marks, but he never drew blood so she didn't mind. Hell - she liked it even.

     "Mine," he mutters.

     Although she knew it was coming - he always said it afterward - it still made her smile. "Yours," she agrees before nudging him back slightly and touching his nose. "Mine?"

     "Yours."

     She smiles again but finds her eyes stinging. Hormones, she guesses. If only they could get out of this place and truly be each others...

    She frowns. Each others - what exactly? They hadn't put a label on it yet. They were more than friends, they established that much, but they hadn't spoke about love and forever afters. Too soon, maybe.

     The Beast senses something is bothering her. "Mate sad?"

     She blinks at him before shaking her head. "No, handsome, I'm fine. Hug?"

     He nods and lays back against the bed before bringing her into his arms. She snuggles into his chest and falls asleep to the sound of his purring.

     - -

    Fingers stroke the mark on her neck and she blinks her eyes open.

     "254?"

     They were both in the same position they fell asleep in. "Yeah, baby, it's me. He didn't hurt you, did he?"

     She shakes her head. "No, of course not. Please start giving him some more credit?"

     "Baby..."

     "Nope. I don't want to hear it." She places her finger on his lips. "What I do want to hear is how amazing last night was." She wiggles her eyebrows.

     He laughs. "You know you rocked my world. You're just fishing for compliments."

     She shrugs. "Maybe."

     He shakes his head with a grin. "God, I..." he trails off.

     Her expression softens. He wasn't about to say what she thinks he was... Right?  "254?"

    He sighs. Gives her a squeeze. "Nothing."

    They both knew he was lying but she decided to let it go anyway.

     - -

     Frank crumples up the paper and throws the blood test results across the room. "Another month and she's not pregnant. Why?"

     Luis sighs as if he's sick of repeating himself. "I've told you. It can take-"

     "I don't care! I've given them enough time. I'm contacting them."

     "You realise 254 will kill you when he gets the chance for doing this."

     Frank pauses, ready to make the call. "Perhaps. But at least I won't die a failure and a joke." He dials.

     "Doctor Arkson..." Luis tries.

     Frank holds up his hand before speaking into the phone. "Yes. It's Doctor Frank Arkson. ID code 56gb6d2. I'm calling to request the transfer of Subject 81 to lab 9..."

     __

     A/N: I know I gave this warning a few chapters back but this is where the noncon, angst and triggers will be coming into play. So be warned.