Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

My mind was awake before the rest of my body, picking up the thuds that echoed throughout my bedroom. I reluctantly opened my eyes to see sunlight streaming into my room through the dark purple curtains. I heard another thud and it took me a minute to realize it was from something hitting my window. Thoughts of what it could be ran through my head as I pulled myself into a sitting position. The most reasonable conclusion was that it was the tree, but I knew it was too far away to touch my window since the driveway was below my bedroom. Knowing this, I pulled my curtain slightly to the side to peak out to see what was waking me up on my Saturday. Instead of a what, a who stood in my driveway with another pebble in his hand, readying to throw it. I watched as Jaxson pulled his arm back before slinging it forward, the pebble leaving his hand and hitting against my window. I started at him for a second, my eyes traveling down his body to see his shirt rise up a little as he chunked the pebble. As soon at the thud echoed through my room, I kicked into motion and threw the covers off of my body. I rummaged through my dresser and closet to through some clothes on and raced to the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair. I didn't have any time to put on makeup before I practically ran down the stairs and out the door, quietly shutting it behind me. My dad, his boyfriend, and my siblings were still asleep and there was no way in hell I was going to let them see a fucking Knight in our driveway trying to get my attention. They would freak out and I had no doubt in my mind that I would be grounded until graduation in June. Hell, they probably would force me to go to a different college that wasn't so close to home. In all honesty that was what I probably what I should've done, but I couldn't give up on my dream college just because I caught a family's attention.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked Jaxson. He had another pebble in his hand that he was getting ready to throw, but he dropped it when his eyes met mine. A smirk tugged his lips while an eyebrow shot up, which had a cut across it that wasn't there the day before. I questioned for a second how he got it but I tucked that thought into the back of my mind. It was none of my business, plus it wasn't uncommon for him to show up to school with random injuries. Apparently that was just part of being a Knight.

"I'm here to take you dress shopping for tomorrow. You have to impress my dad, and I highly doubt you already have an outfit that would do that," He lifted one shoulder to give me a half shrug. I sent him a small glare, but I knew he was right. None of my dresses were good enough for dinner with the Knights.

"I don't have money to buy a dress," I pointed out. Since I was in high school, my source of income was from babysitting. That paid well when I had a lot of jobs lined up, but it had been awhile since my last job since school started. Any money I had went to gas and the occasional fast food so buying a dress was not on my to-do list.

"Don't worry about that. Now come, on let's go," He said. He turned around to leave but I stood where I was. I couldn't bring myself to follow him, to go out in public with him. Jaxson must have guessed my hesitation because he looked back at me the second he took a step away from me.

"If we're going to go together, then we need to go to Austin," I told him. The smirk on his face dropped and I could almost feel the change in his mood.

"Don't want to be seen with me?" He spat out, spinning around to face me. His eyes were blazing and guilt shot through me. I had somehow hurt his feelings and I felt bad about that, even though he was a Knight. Did a part of me care about him?

"It's not that, it's just you're a Knight. Unlike you, I have to go to college so I can get a good career to make money. To do that I need good grades and a good reputation, which I can only imagine is hard to achieve when you're seen with one of the most hated person in town," I tried to explain. It was the truth, if Jaxson wasn't a Knight then I wouldn't care if we were seen together out in public. But he was a Knight and part of a family that could ruin your reputation and future. I was already pushing it with all his random appearances in my life, but actually going somewhere with him? That would definitely be a deal breaker for my good girl reputation.