t e n

While the girl hadn't done much more than sleep, eat, and cook, Rick was still determined to ensure she stayed. While he was sure they could survive well without her, he wasn't satisfied with simply surviving. He wanted to thrive.

"Mornin', sunshine." Carol said as Presley's figure stumbled into the cafeteria. Most meals were served outside, but Carol insisted that they have a family meal indoors every once in a while... At least that was what they had told Presley.

"Good morning." She slurred, rubbing her eyes as she sat down in the seat next to Carol. Her black waves were ruffled from sleep, but somehow she still caught the eye of a few of the hormonal men around the room. They'd had yet to see the girl with her hair down. It was long and flowing, shiny despite the lack of product. The bandana was tied around her wrist, right beside a black hair tye.

So..." Glenn said, leaning against the table. "When do you plan on leaving?"

Presley chuckled at the randomness of the question, glancing down at Zeva, who was laid out at her feet. "Eager to have us leave, eh? Don't worry, we'll be gone in just a few days."

Glenn shook his head, "That's not what I meant. I mean, we kind of... Need you here, I guess." Presley looked at him, a curved eyebrow cocked at what he said. Everybody remained silent, though, they secretly agreed with the Korean.

"Is that so?" She smiled, "I'm truly honored, but I can't do much without my bow. I'm afraid I won't be of much use to you. If I even did stay, after all."

The table went silent, and she took that as her cue. "Sorry to disappoint you guys. Hunting with guns is too loud and dangerous, and I left my Jeep on that damned hill-"

"Is it far from here?" A new voice said- Michonne, she had learned. This woman was a killer with a katana, with an unruly sense of humor. Personally, Presley had taken a liking towards the woman. She was definitely the type she would rather have on her side.

"Eh... About ten, fifteen miles east on the highway." She shrugged. "I doubt it'll still be there, tho. That man probably took it. Damn shame. I had some good stuff in there."

"I'll go check it out... I'll take somebody with me, just in case." She declared. "But not just for your bow. I saw a package of peanuts in there I'm just dying to see."

Presley chuckled, "You might just be in luck. I don't like my nuts salted." Somebody a few tables away choked on their food, earning a few eye rolls.

"But you just got here!" Carl exclaimed, approaching Michonne with a frown. The woman smiled tenderly down at the boy,"And I'll be back."

"That's my seat." Somebody growled, awakening Presley from her trance. She turned her head, sighting a pair of broad shoulders. She didn't have to look twice to see that it was Daryl. She stood, her movements slow. Most times, she would have stood her ground, but she didn't have the energy to fight the man right now. She feared even a verbal fight would exhaust her in this state.

"Have at it." She motioned bitterly towards the seat, not pausing to look back at the man as she shuffled away, the black dog following closely at her heels.

- - -

" That wasn't very nice." Glenn muttered, picking at his food with the broken plastic fork. Unfortunately, silverware wasn't at the top of their demand list.

"I'm not a nice person." Daryl grumbled, shoveling a spoonful of food into his mouth.

"We want her to stay, Daryl." Maggie said, annoyed.

"Why? Ye got me." He said, not bothering to look up at the upset and annoyed faces of his group. "We don't need no bipolar she-devil."

"We need all the help we can get. She could be a valuable asset to the group." Glenn insisted, but Daryl didn't care.

He would never admit why he had done that. He wouldn't even admit it to himself. He was afraid of her. Not because she seemed dangerous, but because she captivated him. He didn't want to be like the rest of the boys who looked at her with glistening cow eyes. This was an apocalypse, for Gods sake. With her around, he feared that was what he would become.

Deep down, he knew he couldn't let her leave.

So instead, he welcomed the annoyance from the group and continued until his meal was finished. He went to toss his bowl and spoon into the wash bucket when Carol approached him. "Presley... she's interesting." She said casually. Too casually. He narrowed his eyes.

"Devils spawn." He muttered, repeating what he had referred to her as months ago.

Carol rolled her eyes, bumping into her shoulder. "Oh stop it, you." She teased. "I know you would like her if you'd just give her a chance. You two are a lot alike. You're both... Arrowheads."

Daryl snorted, giving the woman a skeptical look. "I don't think so. She's..." He shook his head, unable to find the words to call her.

"Whatever, Dare." She sing-songed. "Better get 'er before somebody else does."

- - -

Vote, comment, xo lol hi