Chapter 7

It was Friday morning when Henry came over to Eris' suite to tell her the good news when Eris had just awoken an hour before and had breakfast. She yawned as she came out onto her balcony from her bed. There was a parade down below her beginning to form as today was the beginning of Easter. Eris looked on wondering if she could have a little fun before her possible guest arrives. The steam from the teapot boiling called to her and she rushed back inside to make more pancakes. With a movement of her wrists, the batter poured inside one pan as the other one received three eggs levitated from midair, cracking itself one by one and landing on the pan, sizzling as the fire ascended from the stove. As the table set itself slowly, Eris took her tea and the daily paper to her lounge chair. She reclined and cooled her tea, breathing in and out the aroma as she began reading the news.

"How absolutely boring! No fires, robberies, or untimely deaths...just the rich getting richer and politics. Why Eris, you have been slacking on your game lately. Get it together old girl, this city needs your help," she commented.

Eris thought about how the concept of romance took time. She wondered how Eros could be so patient about it when chaos can easily be gratified in a moment's notice.

"As soon as I win this wager, I will be certainly glad to show him a thing or two about indulging in people's misery," she thought out loud.

There was a loud knock on the door when Henry arrived.

"Well, who could that be at an hour like this?" Eris reacted sarcastically. Henry kept on knocking as he called out loud behind the door:

"Madame Roxanne! I have great news."

Eris smiled as she got up to the door. After carefully unlocking it, she gave a look of surprise as she saw Henry smiling at her.

"Henry? What a surprise, what brings you here so early?" she joked.

"My apologies for dropping in so early," remarked Henry sincerely as he entered her suite. "But I have done it. I've asked Francine to the carnival and she agreed!"

Henry relayed to her everything that had happened in detail and could not help but blush at parts he found very embarrassing. And the whole time, Eris sat there listening and smiling, taking small bites from her eggs.

"I need your guidance. Please advise me again. I don't think my confidence is enough for a whole night." Henry had a look of excitement but uneasiness in his appearance after finishing their meal.

"I'm sure that's all you really need," replied Eris, "just be yourself and talk to her with interest and flair."

"Be myself? Are you sure? That has never worked well with me before," said Henry, chuckling. Eris had a look of disproval as she sat up from her chair and started to pace around the living room.

"Why Henry, it seems you are losing that confidence I repeatedly told you about," she scolded. There was a moment of silence as Henry realized his poor self-esteem creeping back at him.

"Sorry, I forgot that it was me that had convinced her to go," Henry said out loud as he contemplated his stress. Eris nodded back at him.

"Exactly, you need to loosen up. As for my help, hmm..." Eris pondered, wondering about the best approach to teach Henry about her next principle as she kept on pacing. As she did this, Henry looked on confused and eager to learn as he took out a notebook from his bag; it was the same one he received from Eris. Eris naturally stepped out of the living room for a moment as she heard commotion from outside. The parade had livened up as she heard the drums and the people shouting. It was then at last that Eris thought of something perfect. She stepped back in when she saw Henry approaching her again. She suddenly paused and asked him, "Say Henry, are you someone who likes surprises and excitement?"