Chapter Two

At home that day, Sadie grabbed her worn journal from her nightstand and decided to sit outside on the lawn. She had spent an hour in detention surrounded by idiots who thought chucking balls of paper at each other was an appropriate form of entertainment, and she needed some fresh air and quiet. She lay on her stomach and opened the journal in front of her. Pulling out a pen, Sadie began doodling on an empty page. Like he usually did, her dad came out and joined her. They passed her journal back and forth, adding another part to the drawing that Sadie had started. It always ended up looking very cool and abstract. Her dad had always been an artist, and although she wasn't as good as him, she still enjoyed creating art with him.

After his hand grew tired, her dad went back inside, and Sadie flipped through the worn book, looking at the smudged drawings and doodles she and her father had created together. Her hand traced the drawing of a storm cloud, littered raindrops and lightning, that she had created the day they found out about Mr. Abrams's cancer. In the corner of the drawing was the sun, peeking out from behind one of the clouds. It was the only contribution Mr. Abrams had made to the drawing that day. He had had hope then. Now, she wasn't so sure.

                                                                                             ***

"Watch it, freak." Bryce Walker, notorious bully and one of Noah's soccer cronies, mumbled the next day at school.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, you know I obviously meant to bump into you like that." Sadie retorted, earning the middle finger from the boy. She ignored him and kept going.

"Hey Sadie, don't you have some bulldozer to strap yourself to? Do us all a favor and get on with it!" Another student called.

Sadie stomped past him silently, glaring at the dumb boy. He glared back and knocked into her as she walked past, knocking her things out of her hands. "AUGH WHY AM I SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS?" Sadie yelled, bending down to pick up her books.

"Whoa, calm down there Irish." A voice said above her. Sadie grit her teeth.

"What do you want?" She snapped, standing up.

Noah grinned. "You're just further encouraging me to call you Irish now. You need to fix that temper."

"I don't have a temper." Sadie snapped, and then bit her lip. She made her way down the hall. "And I'm not Irish!"

Later, during lunch, Sadie sat by herself as always and opened her journal after making sure no one was paying attention. Luckily, everyone was too consumed with their own lunch. She enjoyed this time of the day because it was the one time she was left alone. Everyone else used the lunch period to talk to the friends they didn't see in other classes and flirt with each other. People usually ignored Sadie. Usually.

"Hey Irish." That annoying voice chimed, and suddenly Sadie was not alone at her table. She slammed her journal closed quickly and her eye twitched as she slowly looked over at the jerk.

"What do you want, jerkface?" She asked.

"Isn't it obvious? I came to be insulted, apparently." Noah said, smiling slightly. "But really, jerkface? You couldn't do better?"

"As long as you're insulted, then it doesn't matter." Sadie claimed, and scooched away from him.

Noah rolled his eyes. "Stop being so stubborn. I don't want to be your partner any more than you want me to be yours. Except I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to work with me. Everyone else does."

Sadie scoffed. "Maybe that's why."

Noah raised an eyebrow.

"You're attitude? Cockiness? Everyone else here seems to fall for it, and for some reason tolerate it, but not me." Sadie snapped.