Chapter 15- Final Days

Walking into the kitchen, the smell of sauteing vegetables especially onions wafts through the air.

"JD, I want to learn to cook, and you could teach me." I almost whine.

Trying to hide the smile on his face by not looking at me, he responds. "And why would I do that, Ev?"

"Because you love me." I grin and turn up the charm.

"Fine. What you do to me Evangeline." He grunts.

I walk over to where he is chopping vegetables to stand and watch. He's like a dancer with his knife, cuts precise - no moves seem to be accidental.

"Grab another cutting board, and you can chop the carrot if you want."

"And what are you making?"

"Working on a mirepoix that will be the initial base for my chicken noodle soup."

"And what is a mirepoix?"

"Mirepoix is a flavor base usually made with onions, carrots and celery. In Cajun or creole cooking it is usually onions, celery and bell peppers. There are similar flavor bases in other styles of cooking that might include ingredients like garlic, tomatoes, leeks or a variety of other ingredients."

"Isn't that what sauteing?"

"Have you ever feed a large pack like this one?"

"Not personally, but I guess you're right. The cooks at Silver Tide must have an exhausting job."

Coming over with a cutting board, Julian hands me a knife and slides the carrots towards me. I try to follow his lead, but I just can't seem to get the damn carrot to cut - it keeps rolling to the side and the cuts are all off.

"JD what am I doing wrong?"

"Here let me help."

Julian walks behind me and wraps his arms around me.

"What are you doing?" I gulp.

"Just relax and let me help."

I'm confused at first until he places his hands on top of mine, and shifts my right hand until it grips the knife differently.

"Here's another problem you're having." Julian starts. "Carrots tend to roll a bit and that can cause problems especially if you're not experienced with cutting them. So, what we're going to do is trim off a small piece off of the side and this will create a flatter surface thus decreasing the chance of the carrot rolling on you. Then we are going to cut them into sticks and then cut across the sticks to create the smaller pieces. Like this."

He then begins to demonstrate what he just told me. We find a rhythm with chopping the carrot, but I'm not using all my concentration on this particular skill at the moment. I have become fully aware of how our bodies are working very much in synch - our bodies almost fitting together perfectly. How the muscles of his arms seem to be cocooning me. Then I imagine how they would feel doing other things.

It doesn't take long for me to feel all of him pressed against my back. And he's one very excited boy.

"Julian." I involuntarily groan out.

"Shit." He hisses, and I can't help but wiggle just a little - a need building in my body.

"Mmhmm." and I notice that we have luckily stopped chopping that carrot.