Chapter XXII - The Fate of an Empire

It was in the night when the hour of danger struck.

"My lady! My lady!" There was a banging outside her door, and Roxana, who was just about to retire on her bed, jumped and ran to the door. Once she flung it open, she saw that it was a guard.

"I bring a message from Polyperchon," The guard said in between his breaths.

"You must flee at once. The generals Cassander and Ptolemy of Egypt have allied together and have decided to revolt against Polyperchon, the next potential regent. They will bring their armies here tomorrow, and this the first thing in the morning. Your safety is not guaranteed." Roxana absorbed all of this initially in surprise, and then her eyebrows furrowed in determination.

"He tells you that he will meet you in the courtyard. I shall accompany you, my queen," Said the guard, and Roxana nodded. She grabbed her fur coat, and set about to pack her most precious belongings. Then she remembered Bahar.

"Wait," She said, "Wait a little while, and my maid will come soon. She will accompany me as well." She told the guard, who stopped and looked at her hesitantly. Then he nodded. The clock ticked by, and five minutes passed, but there was no sign of Bahar. Then ten minutes passed, and still there was no sign. Roxana knew that she should be here, because Bahar was the one who brought her tea every night before she retired to bed.

"We must go," Said the guard, and Roxana obliged. They began to make their way down the corridor when they ran into a running woman.

"Where were you?" Roxana demanded.

"There is no time to explain, my lady, let us go," Bahar said.

They stepped outside and were met with the night air and a starry sky. Sure enough, there was Polyperchon in the courtyard. Roxana saw that his hair was unkempt, and his brows were creased with worry. But he tried not to show it as he bowed and motioned for her to follow him. It was a lie to say that Roxana was skeptical of whether or not to trust this whole ordeal. Right now, she could be the one being led to slaughter. Perhaps she was the next one to be eliminated in the midst of these successor wars. But she had few options to choose from, and she would have the fate of being slaughtered as well if she trusted no one at all.

Polyperchon and his guard led her outside the palace. There she found horses with supplies on their backs. There were also a few more guards on foot and a two-wheeled mule cart.

"I apologize for the scant preparations, my queen," Said Polyperchon, "But we must make do with these things for now." Roxana nodded mutely as she stepped onto the mule cart. Bahar followed after her. Polyperchon jumped on his horse, and nodded to the guards. Immediately, they began to move forwards.

The road was dark. Roxana could see nothing except the small flames from the torches that the soldiers were carrying. The path was full of bumps and twists, and the cart lurched and jolted Roxana so much that she felt sick in the stomach. She tried not to complain however, even though pain shot into her stomach and she nearly let out a groan. Putting her hands to her mouth, she suddenly felt cold and hot all over at the same time.

"My lady, are you alright?" Asked Bahar from beside her. Roxana nodded. But just then, she felt another sharp pain up her stomach. This time it was very severe, and her scream resounded throughout the darkness.

Polyperchon, who had heard this sound clearly, cursed and immediately dismounted from the horse. He ran to where the cart was. The queen was clutching her stomach and biting her lips to stop from screaming aloud. Polyperchon was not an idiot. He knew what this signified. Quickly, he put his arms under her heavy body and pulled her out of the cart. Carrying her, he made the guard support her while he leapt back onto his horse. The guard then hoisted Roxana up, and Polyperchon took her into his arms. The queen laid her head on his arm. There was no time to think about proprieties as he snapped the reins against his horse, making it run forwards with all haste.