So I Can See

Cause all of me, loves all of you, love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections.

- John Legend

"Lisa, did you pack everything you needed, dear?" Marie asked placing another set of clothes in the bag. 

"Yes, Marie, those are the only thing I need that I can think of." She answered pointing at the pile of clothes and other necessities Marie was packing in the bag.

"Ian had never been good at packing, you know. For the past five years, I have been doing that for him. But now that you are here, I think you should help him." Marie suggested as she continued to place the settled pack of shoes in the bag along with other items. Lisa thought for a solid minute before she shook her head and continued to pack the other bag with colors and sheets.

"I believe he is big enough to handle that and if not he would ask," she argued not bothering to justify her answer. The week has been cold. After James dropped the bomb of the honeymoon surprise things have been unusual. Ian was oddly quiet and cold towards Lisa. Not that she didn't expect that after his behavior after there kiss. He didn't argue with his father as she was anticipating but instead, he glared at him for some seconds as if communicating something serious before accepting the gift. They didn't have the time to talk the whole previous week ahead. Not that they even tried. Lisa completed her exhibition with almost every painting sold and Ian cracked the deal for his company before they decided to go for this trip.

"Lisa, I know it's none of my business but I have noticed the tension between both of you. Why don't you try and talk it out huh?" Marie suggested placing a hand on Lisa's shoulder "He is stubborn, darling, but he cares about you. Talk to him."

"Okay," she whispered getting up from the bed and walking towards his room located across the hall. She could hear shuffling and frustrated cruses from his room when she was close enough. She debated standing outside the room whether she should knock or not. 

"Marie could you-" Ian came shouting out of his room before she could even knock on his door.

"Lisa," he whispered as if this was the first time he was testing her name on his tongue "do you need anything?" He urged opening his door a little wide stepping out of the room. 

"I... Marie told me that you might need help with packing. So I just came here to ask if you really did." Lisa answered stuttering on almost every word. She scolded herself for being so stupid and acting this way in his presence. He didn't say anything but she could feel his eyes on her,  watching and observing her while she avoided any chance of even a minimal eye contact. 

"Sorry. It was a bad idea. I will send Marie." She explained disappointingly moving away from the door. Just as she was about to turn her back to walk back to her room, his hand caught her wrist pulling her back to his chest. 

"I would love some help. I am really bad and packing and arranging stuff." He muttered with a smile flashing across his face. Lisa couldn't surmise whether it was genuine or not but at least she didn't completely embarrass herself. 

"So I can see" she replied looking back at the visible mess of clothes and stuff lying all around the room. Ian removed his hand from her wrist before moving aside giving her space to enter.

"Umm... Ian? Will you really need so many ties there?" Lisa asked collecting the couple of ties in her hand which was previously placed by side the bag. 

"Oh no, not all of them. I have a meeting there tomorrow so I am still deciding which one to take along." Ian justified taking the ties from Lisa's hand before an indicative smile took place on his face "do you think you could help? I don't think I can pick one."

"I don't have much knowledge on which one would suit the best."

"You could try, right? Pick any one. Please," he pleased shoving them before her eyes. There was a black one with subtle grey strips placed vertically on it which drew her attention. 

"Aah, this one looks good." She declared as she took out the tie from the bundle and handed it to him. He looked pleased with the choice as he thanked her and placed a light kiss on her cheek. They spend nearly an hour in the room with Ian cracking random jokes on the situation and how he was stuck on visiting the client tomorrow. It was like nothing ever happened between both of them just a week before. Lisa couldn't wrap her head around the sudden change in his behavior. He was either too happy or too cold. 

"Did you pack your bag?"

"Yeah, it was almost done when I came here. Marie was placing some last stuff left." She answered zipping the bag close and placing it on the floor "And so is yours now."

"Thank you. I don't have the habit to do it on my own. Mom usually packed my bags for most of the journeys." He clarified smiling and shaking his head. Just a second after he became still as if he just understood what he had said. His eyes became hard and emotionless as if thinking about the memories or time made him feel some sought of deep pain. 

"We will leave in an hour," he said walking out of the room before Lisa could even ask anything. She saw how the look of horror crossed his face when he comprehended what he said. She had seen his family during the wedding but she never got to see his mom. She could understand that the topic was sensitive to him but she didn't know the reason why? None of the family ever tried to mention her. She decided to drop the topic and give him time. She walked out of the room with the bag rolling with her. 

After an hour both of them settled their bags in the car and were ready to leave for the airport. Ian still hadn't said a word. He had retreated back to the same cycle he had been following for the former week. Lisa took a heavy sigh before pushing herself further on the seat closing her eyes and falling into darkness.