Chapter 6

*Edited*

Lauren

Slowly light filtered through my eyes.

"Holy Fuck that was the best sleep I've gotten in ages." I said to myself looking around. The events of yesterday came crashing back in my mind and I remembered I wasn't at home. The smell of something cooking came wafting from downstairs as I sat up. The room was very cozy, small but big enough to be comfortable. It was more rustic looking, cabin like almost.

There was a painting hanging on the wall opposite to my bed of a huge white wolf running through a snowy forest. She looked majestic...at least I thought it was a she. The snow surrounded her like a halo, but that took nothing away from the beauty of her white fur. Her tongue lolled out to the side of her mouth making it look as if she was grinning at me. Self consciously, I smiled. A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts and Phoenix stepped into the room.

"I hope I didn't wake you, but breakfast is on the table and school starts in about an hour and a half...I know you don't have any other clothes but the ones you're wearing so you can borrow some of mine out of my closet." She gestured to a couple doors on my left. My face suddenly got very hot. Had I spent the night in her bedroom? Sleeping in her bed? I tried to hide my face by nodding in agreement but I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. Why does that matter you weirdo it's not like it was romantic or something. I thought.

"As I said last night you're welcome to the bathroom two doors down on your left." She turned to leave, a small smile playing on her lips.

Pull yourself together. I thought as I headed over to the closest. All of the clothes in the closet were either hoodies, tee shirts, and jeans, but it was pretty close to what I wore on a day to day basis so I was glad. I didn't want to be left in a skirt and heels going to school.

I headed down the stairs back to the kitchen and realized Rochella and Phoenix were the only ones in the room.

"Mornin, come grab some breakfast and eat." Phoenix seemed so relaxed here and that's when I realized; there were no adults in the room. I hadn't even seen an adult that night before, they were all teenager age. Which was odd considering only five of them had gone to school... I'd ask Phoenix about it later.

"This is really good." The food was superb, whoever made it knew a whole lot about cooking, and food was my weakness. It was either Eat or Sleep for me...or it ended up being me in my bed eating while trying to fall asleep. Nobody had said anything, but Phoenix grinned to herself as if by her own joke. Her eyes flicked up to meet mine, and for a second, I couldn't breathe. This wasn't right. I don't do feelings. Why was I feeling this way?

"Before we get to school, we can swing by your place to get all your stuff." Phoenix said, still smiling. If I tried to talk, I'd just embarrassed myself so I nodded in agreement. Her car was white, it was smaller but it was this year's model and had some fun gadgets inside. She drove with her left hand on the steering wheel and her right on her gear shift. For a while I almost wished she would reach out and grab my hand.

I didn't notice we had gotten to my house until we pulled up in the driveway. My mom came out and I went in, trying to avoid her wrath.

"...thank you so much for...." was all I heard before I disappeared into the house and headed up to my room to get my school stuff. I texted Jenna but a reply a second later told me she was already at school Sarah had gone with her. It took a few minutes to gather everything before I went to the bathroom and splashed water on my face. GET IT THE HELL TOGETHER. I yelled mentally before grabbing my backpack and heading back outside.

My mom was still talking to Phoenix as I headed back outside

"Yeah that sounds good, I can pick her up later today." They had finished talking as I walked out and my mom smiled at me. This is weird. Why is she smiling at me?

"Hey Lauren, Phoenix is gonna take you home today and I'll pick you up later today. I'm proud of you by the way." I don't know what's happeningggggg sung through my head as I got into the car.

As soon as we got out of view of the house, I turned to Phoenix.

"What the heck was that?" She smiled. "I know your mom is a bit overbearing so I told her that I was having a slight crisis and needed a friend. I told her that one of my relatives passed away and you saved me from running away."

"Oh." Was all I could say. She smiled again and I felt heat rush up to my cheeks and turned to look out of the window so she wouldn't see the red creeping up my face. I kinda liked her half smiles, and her toned arms and fit body. It was interesting to see her outside of school or her house, when it was just her. Her hand still lazily hung over the armrest and I had to physically stop myself from reaching out and taking it.

I could see myself in a relationship with this girl and I hadn't even known her more than 48 hours.

The school came into sight way too soon as part of me wanted to suggest skipping the day and get to know everything and anything about her. We cut it close as the bell rang, and as I practically ran down the hall to get to my class, Phoenix went the other way to the office. Strange, I know she had class. I thought but had no time to turn around and ask her. My class was on the other side of the building and I prayed to whatever god was up there that my teacher was in a good mood.