Allen Davis - 1843

"Finish your coffee. Then I want Bones and Nikola to start rounding up any'a those walkin' money bags that might have wandered from the herd," Fred said, pointing. "Al, Clayton, will you two water the horses? Mason, James, and I are gonna rest our cantankerous selves for a minute."

Mason tutted. "I hardly resemble that remark, but sure, let the younger men do some work for a change."

"Thank god," James grumbled as he hung the black coffee pot back above the fire. "If I wanted to be a regular nursemaid to a bunch of cows, I wouldn't have become an outlaw."

"Too much like honest work for ya, James?" I caught the twinkle in Mason's eyes as I swallowed down the rest of my bitter breakfast and stood. Bones, Nikola, and Clay did the same.

"Noticed you're still favoriting that other leg," Bones said as the four of us headed towards the geldings ground-tied near an old oak. "Want me to take another look at the one I stitched up?"

Nikola waved him off. "Nah, it ain't nothin'."

I may have been staring...because I sure as hell didn't notice Clay stop in front of me. He pitched forward as I collided with his back.

"Goddammit," I blurted.

"Woah there, kid," Clay said, regaining his balance.

He probably thought I'd had one too many nips from the whiskey Mason was passing around in the early morning while we made camp.

Nikola was already in his saddle, grinning, as he kicked his horse into a trot. Bones trailed him on his palomino with a poised smile.

My face was burning hotter than the sun overhead. "I ain't-a damned kid."

"Too early in the day for joshing, I see," Clay replied, collecting the leads of his and Fred's horses.

I took two as well--my Kentucky Saddler and Mason's Appaloosa. James' mare and the wagon horse could wait till we were back. "It's nearly noon."

"Friendly and observational."

"What?"

Clay shrugged. "I was tryin' to give you an excuse for your sour disposition."

I gave him a flat stare and started toward the river.

It wasn't that I was in a nasty mood or nothin'. It was just... Nikola. We'd made fast friends since I joined Fred's gang. But Freddie'd been splitting us up for jobs or chores as of late.

He hadn't said anything, to me at least, but I was convinced Fred knew...Knew about the way my insides bucked like a spooked nag when Nikola's gaze held mine for too long... Knew about the way my senses buzzed when we'd brush arms on accident...or how I couldn't get to sleep when he'd throw his bedroll down next to mine on account'a my heart goin' like a damned jackrabbit.

It was making me sick with worry.

I chewed on the thought more than I probably should have as we walked. By the time I came out of my head, my buckskin was yanking for more slack in his lead. The one in my offhand had already bent his neck to drink.

We'd gone upstream quite a ways from where the cows were drinking. One of the horses nipping or kicking would be all it would take to get the dumb animals worked up into a stampede. Here, there was nothing but a few small hills and the occasional spotting of trees for as far as the eyes could see. I glanced at Clay.

"You know, I ain't got a sour dispa..." Something in the distance caught my eye--something off to his right, and I trailed off. Switching both leads to my right hand, I lifted the other to shade my brow. Had I not been so concerned about what I was seeing, I might have thought to curse myself for losing my hat last week.