CHAPTER 15 - CROSSING THE LINE

Jonathon texted me several times that week and each time guilt shot through me like a bolt of lightning. I never meant to lead him on, but the realization finally hit me. That was exactly what I had been doing.

When I first started talking to him, I figured that I couldn't stay stuck on Jake forever. 
I had to at least try to venture out and find happiness. Somewhere along the way, my entire heart became Jake's. Continuing to talk to Jonathon had become wrong.

I felt so bad for him at that party, I should never have put him in that situation. It was time to do the right thing and break things off, so I told him we needed to talk. We agreed to meet at a party on Friday.

It didn't help that Jake had been pressuring me to break up with Jonathon too. When I told him I was planning on doing it over the weekend, he seemed not only happy but relieved. It was the strangest thing because he knew that Jonathon was never a threat to him. Surely, Jake could tell in how I kissed him I wasn't feeling anyone else.

Jenny agreed to go to the party with me since Tripp kept bugging her about it too. When Friday came, we headed home after school to get ready. It wasn't long before we were out the door and on our way. When we walked in, there were people everywhere. They filled every corner of the house. There was a keg in the kitchen, and red solo cups peppered every table surface. They also rested in the hands of every single partygoer.

Large speakers adorned the living room, providing essential party music. Couples seemed to nestle in every nook and cranny. It was kind of disgusting how sloppy they were when they were drunk. A make-shift dance floor was also in the living room. Every time a slow song came on it would fill with the same couples.

Jenny and I kept to ourselves until Jonathon and Tripp arrived. Once they got there, we tried to make casual conversation for the first half-hour, giving me time to work up my nerve.

I watched Jenny with Tripp and her face did not light up as it did with Tag. She wouldn't be too far behind me. At least she hadn't been leading him on. She thought she was interested in him. That was until Tag came along and flashed her a smile, making her act like a lovesick schoolgirl.

When I found the courage I needed, I asked Jonathon to come upstairs with me. There was a balcony up there that seemed to be the quietest spot in the house. Everyone was downstairs hanging together. That would be my best opportunity to spare him any embarrassment.

I whispered to Jenny that it was time and turned to grab Jonathon's hand. When I spun around, my eyes glanced toward the door. To my surprise, Jake, Tag, Toby and Jimmy all came in together. They went everywhere together, like a pack of wolves.

It only took a second for Jake's eyes to find mine. He saw my hand grasping Jonathon's. I could see his face fall flat as his eyes lingered too long on our intertwined hands. My heart raced and not knowing what to do, I pulled Jonathon upstairs. "This was great," I thought to myself. Not only did I have to call things off with Jonathon, but it would have to be while Jake was there.

When we got to the top of the stairs, Jonathon seemed confused. Once again, he was being dragged into the middle of something that had nothing to do with him. I was careful to stay by the stairwell. I did not want this uncomfortable conversation to last any longer than it needed to. It would also provide a quick exit. I tried to find the right words, but I never did.

"Jonathon, thank you for agreeing to meet me tonight," I started. His expression revealed that he was understanding what our talk was all about, but he tried to remain cool.

"Sure Sky, what up?" he replied. I hesitated for a moment.

"I wanted to talk about us for a second, I have had such a good time with you since we started talking," I continued. His look was transforming into panic and I realized that I had never seen him as anything but calm and chill. I tried to get the words out, "The thing is, I don't think I have been fair to you."

"What do you mean?" he questioned, as he looked down at the floor. He knew it was coming. I could tell he wanted to hear anything but what I was about to say. It shocked me because even though we had spent time together, we had never been a true couple. I guess I thought he saw us the same way I did.

"You have been amazing, but I have had feelings for another guy and I haven't been able to shake them," I explained.

"So this is the same guy you were into when we first started talking?"

"Yeah, I tried to get over him but I can't and that hasn't been fair to you, I am sorry," I said with all sincerity.

"So, you have been leading me on this whole fucking time?"

"Whoa," I thought to myself, where did that come from? He had never been angry at me.

"That sounds harsh Jonathon but I guess it is the truth." He looked at me with so much hate and disdain, it seemed to come out of nowhere. It was then that he grabbed me by both of my arms. His grasp was firm and uncomfortable. I tried to pull away from him, but his grip only tightened.

"So you treated me like a little bitch? What a tease," he said, raising his voice to a low shout.

"Jonathon, let me go," I said. I tried again to free myself from him. He not only held firm to my arm but snatched me forward a bit.

"What's the matter, Sky? Do you need someone to treat you like a little punk ass jerk? You can't handle it when a guy is actually nice to you?" His face pulled into a deep frown. He was working himself into a rage.

"Let me go, now!" I shouted.

"Why so you can run to him and..." Mid-sentence a hand grabbed his shoulder and snatched him around with force. Before I even realized what was happening, Jake punched him in the face. He knocked him out cold, grabbing my hand and pulling me into a nearby bedroom.

I looked back at Jonathon as he lay passed out on the floor. The sweet guy was a massive ass at heart. Once the door shut, I sat down on the bed. I tried to gather my thoughts and let my brain catch up to everything that just happened. Jake stood next to me, his adrenaline pumping way too hard for him to sit.

"Did he hurt you?"

"No Jake, I am fine," I said and then reminded him that someone may have seen what happened. At the very least Jonathon might tell someone, blowing his cover.

He grabbed my arm and examined it, "What is he going to tell people? That I kicked his ass? Guys don't go around bragging about that Sky." I guessed he was right, a guy would never admit to getting his ass beat.

"Thank you," I said, giving him a quick kiss while he continued to examine me.

"Jake Stephenson, at your service," he replied in a joking manner. He was finally starting to relax.

"You better get out of here Jake before someone catches you slumming it."

"Only if you agree to go away with me next weekend," he said without missing a beat.

At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He was legitimately asking me to go away with him. I didn't have to think long about my answer. Dad wouldn't even miss me.

The next week passed so slowly I thought I might lose my mind. Try as I may, Jake would not give me a hint about where we were going. When he picked me up, I was about to jump out of my skin with anticipation.

I slid as close to him as possible. Putting my hand on his leg, I hoped to persuade him to give up this mystery destination. I paid attention to his every turn, desperately trying to determine where we were going. We got on I-95 and headed south. That could have led us anywhere in the state of Florida.

"Jake, if you don't tell me where you are taking me, I am going to lose my mind."

"Somewhere I can have you all to myself," he responded with a wink. Ugh, what was I going to do with this boy?

"If I give you a kiss will you tell me where we are going?" I tried once more.

The only response I got was a shrug of his shoulders. I pulled myself up and gave him a sweet kiss on the cheek, whispering into his ear, "Please Jake". He let out a long sigh and finally solved the big mystery.

"To meet my biological father." I was sufficiently mind blown.

*******

A/N

So, I think we may get to know Jake more in the next chapter. What did you guys think of Jonathon's reaction to the breakup?