10

january but almost the end

After going to six different shops, I finally found a dress I liked. It was a bodycon dress that was the prettiest dark blue I had ever seen. The straps were off the shoulder with a plunge in the middle to show cleavage and a slit up the leg. I think it was perfect for the occasion.

I found a choker that went well with my T necklace and put that on before I straightened my hair. It was parted down the middle which was different for me but I liked it. I spent a lot of time getting my makeup on to make sure it was as close to flawless as possible, ending up with a pretty gray and blue cut crease with thick eyeliner. When I was happy with it, I texted Luke to ask him when I should be there. It was a surprise for Calum, but Luke said him and Michael would be there beforehand and Ash was in charge of bringing Cal. That meant I didn't have to stand in a room with a bunch of people I didn't know until he got there.

Luke texted back saying that he and Michael were there setting up now if I felt like being really early. I didn't have anything better to do, so I grabbed my keys and locked the apartment. There was valet parking so I let the guy take my keys and gave him the money. The guests weren't supposed to arrive for another thirty minutes, but Luke and Michael had pretty much everything finished by the time I got there.

"Hot damn, you look amazing." Michael opened his arms and took me into his embrace.

"Cal is going to lose his shit, you look great." Luke laughed with me and I hugged him also.

I look around the place that's decorated in mostly black and white decor, but it looks exactly like something Cal would do for himself.

"I'm so nervous, I don't know why I thought this would be fine." I fiddle with my hands.

"It will be fine, and even if you don't get the outcome you want then hopefully you can still talk some things out and get closure." Michael slings an arm around my shoulder. There are couches around the room that makes it feel more personal than a bunch of different tables.

"We forgot to tell you that there's only going to be like five people here other than us and they're part of our tour team so they may not stay all night. You'll really get your chance to talk to him." Luke sits down on the nearest couch with a beer in his hand and I groan. That means I can't avoid him or hope the process of us talking is put off because he has to talk to all of the people that came to see him.

"It shouldn't be awkward but I have a feeling that it will be."

I sit down with Luke but soon he gets up because the others start arriving. There are about eight of them and they look really comfortable around Luke and Michael. Which makes sense because they all work together, I'm the one that's out of place here. 

"Oh also, this is Teagan. We met her over the summer." Luke helps me up and introduces me to all of them. I shake all of their hands and tell them it's nice to meet them. The room suddenly feels like a big space for only a small amount of people, but I don't say anything.

When Luke says that Ash just texted that they're parking, my palms get sweaty and I think about exiting out of the back door. Luke slings an arm around my shoulder to bring me with the others as we all gather around the door and my chest tightens. I feel like I could puke at any second but Michael squeezes my hand next to me. I imagine Calum will hug or shake everyone's hand and neither of those seems like an option for us. 

"Here they come."

Right after Luke speaks the door opens and Ash walks in with Cal right behind him. "Surprise!"

We all say in unison, and Calum smiles so big. I haven't seen his smile in so long and I definitely missed it. "Woah, hey everyone!"

Calum holds out his arms like he's excited and Luke steps forward to hug him first. "Happy birthday, did we surprise you?"