Six

The tall trees faded to long stretches of sand as Halen drove farther into Nevada

The tall trees faded to long stretches of sand as Halen drove farther into Nevada. The GPS read three hours to her destination at Pyramid Lake. At the last gas station, she zoomed in on the map, finding nothing but desert and the small body of water. Her magick sparked with thoughts of shimmering liquid portals, but at least the lake wasn't as vast as the ocean; a lake had perimeters she could monitor.

Now with her foot on the gas pedal and the distance growing shorter between her and Nelia's shifters, she questioned more than the lake. Tari or not, Nelia had every reason to hate her. What if this was a trap? No one will ever find you, Nelia's words played through her mind. Had she meant Natalie and Asair? Halen slammed her foot against the brake. She needed a better plan.

She fought back a yawn. Her muscles ached and her stomach growled for more than the bag of chips. No wonder she couldn't think clearly. Halen needed a warm bed but checking into a motel with Dax wasn't an option. She yawned again, her eyelids heavy. She wouldn't be any good to Dax if she crashed.

She pulled the car over to the side of the road, scanning the desert for signs of life, but she was alone with the moon. "This will have to do," she said spoke out loud as she had the whole drive just to stay sharp. Cutting the ignition, she then locked the doors once, twice, and one more time just to be sure. "Twenty minutes. That should do it and then you can get on your way." Tucking her legs up to her side, she curled into the seat.

The full moon shone through the sunroof. Were Asair and Natalie staring up with dread knotting their stomachs too? "I'll find you," she whispered. "I have no idea how, but I will." Pulling her hood up, she closed her eyes, saying a prayer for her friends and asking for a way out of this catastrophic mess.

Peter's cold, dead stare plagued her mind. She winced, hugging herself tighter. As exhausted as she was, how would she ever sleep again with his death haunting her? A low hum filled the car, vibrating the seats. She opened her eyes to find the interior illuminated with a soft glow.

The source?

The water stone.

"Why are you doing that?" she asked the stone, and it burned brighter. The stone's pitch wavered with a warning that crept under her skin. Halen's sparks awoke, prickling at her fingertips, and the stone sung louder.

She peered into the darkness as she dug the keys from her pocket. Her hands shook with the sparks now rushing up her arms, and she pressed the fob by mistake. The trunk popped open with a resonating click. "Are you kidding me right now?"

The water stone squealed like an animal being led to slaughter.

"Stop!" Slapping her hands over her ears, the keys dropped to the floor.

Fighting the sparks that answered the water stone's call, she fumbled along the carpet, searching for the keys.

The car shook with a rumble.