Chapter 9

Covey

"I'm not gay."

Yeah, right.

I took a chug of the energy drink and focused on writing my notes. I had tests the whole of the following week as Thanksgiving break was just around the corner and had spent nearly all my time in the library, engrossed in my books. School was important to me, learning was crucial. This was the only way to achieve my dreams of becoming a Doctor. I wanted to help people. It's crazy, people often saw me with my short hair and piercings and a 'Doctor' is amongst the last things that came to mind. But that's what I wanted to be, it was a dream of mine ever since I was young.

Also, studying meant that I was too preoccupied to think of Lara-Jean( or her rejection). Well, that was what I had thought. It wasn't working out as I had imagined.

"Covey."

Glancing up I saw Michael walking towards me in the library. I had thought I was the only one here, seeing as it was past midnight.

"Um, what are you doing?" Michael asked, looking at me quizzically.

I took a chug of my drink, "studying."

Michael scoffed, "I can see that Covey, I mean what is going on? You haven't been replying to any texts or calls, you're rarely around and you're cooped up in this library till late hours of the night. What the hell is up?"

"Nothing Michael," I lied, "I'm just busy with tests coming up, that's all."

Michael sat back and crossed his arms and didn't say anything. I picked up a highlighter and got back to highlighting my notes. I could feel him staring at me but frankly I didn't care.

"It's that Lara-Jean chick isn't it?"

I groaned.

"I knew it!" Michael yelled suddenly.

"Shh," I whispered, grabbing Michael from across the table, "we're in the library."

"Yeah, we're the only ones here at that!" Michael practically yelled. I grabbed him from across the table and he raised his hands in surrounder. I loosened my grip on him.

"You haven't liked someone in so long." Michael said, "I know you like Lara-Jean, you get all defensive, and you're constantly staring at her and shit."

Michael sat back and crossed his arms. He had a smug look on his face and I just had to laugh. I had known Michael for a really long time. Since high school when he constantly tried hitting on me, until I told him I was gay and that ended that chapter.

"Come on, you know you hardly catch feelings, this is kind of a big deal."

This was true. I never fell for people. But when I did fall, I fell hard. And here I was falling for a girl that had rejected me.

We both avoided each other like the plague. She'd leave the room before I woke up and I'd come back late, once I was sure she was fast asleep. It was ridiculous, to say the least.

"I wish it was that easy Michael." I murmured, flipping a page of my textbook.

We sat in silence for the next few minutes, me flipping through pages and highlighting stuff and Michael sighing and being overdramatic.

"You're a fighter, Covey, fight." Was Michael's last words before he got up leaving me in the library.

He popped his head back in a moment later and made a comment about how creepy it was being alone in a college library late at night. Then he called me a weirdo. Then he actually did leave.

||

Please Vote <3