16. ** Tea Time **

So much happened while I was confined to my bed, recovering from an awful concussion. My headaches varied day to day; from debilitating to non-existent. My pride prevented me from requesting help from whomever was assigned to be with me. So whenever I needed to get up,  I would become overwhelmingly dizzy and end up collapsing to the floor. My lame ass would then need escorted back to bed for even more rest, which would surely be followed by Levi scolding me for being so stubborn.

 But it was nothing compared to the agony felt by the Survey Corps. Commander Hange had been so excited about having Eren help with her experiments and studies of her two treasured pet titans: Sonny & Bean.  But apparently they had been killed before Eren was able to even see them.  Everyone had been questioned and all gear was inspected, but the culprit remained a mystery.  

 When Levi returned to base, twenty one new Survey Corps members followed.  Twenty-one.  Out of hundreds of trainees from the 104th Training Corps, that's all we got.  I guess quality is better than quantity... but it would take so many more than twenty-one bodies to move forward. 

I was finally able to move on my own again, so I gathered up my strength to get a good look at the rookies. Much to my surprise, none of them really seemed to be amateurs though. All of them had lost that joyful radiance that newcomers usually exude. Their eyes were distant, their bodies broken, yet they were strengthened by a vengeful drive.  I watched as Eren happily greeted his two childhood friends, Mikasa and Armin.  My god, they're all just kids...

Not too long after, I spotted Levi handing off his horse to another soldier. I slowly made my way over to him, still watching a few more new recruits greet Eren. Most were glad to see him, a few were a bit more apprehensive. I greeted Levi with a nod, as did he. I began walking alongside him, my hands clasped behind my back.

"Levi... I thought the 104th Training Corps was a large group. How did Erwin end up only recruiting twenty-one kids?"

"Tch- he scared the shit out of them, basically telling them that they were as good as dead if they weren't completely committed to sacrificing their lives for the sake of humanity."

"Heh... well, at least he's honest...but damn."

We walked back inside where Levi removed his cape, draping it over his chair. Taking a seat, he flopped down, totally exhausted.  He also seemed frustrated about something, but wasn't much for conversing at the moment. So I pulled out a fresh bag of tea leaves from the pantry, retrieved two tea cups and a tea pot from the cupboard, and proceeded to boil some water. 

"How's your head?" Levi asked lowly.

"Better. I think I'm fine now." I replied.

"Good."

After a few minutes, I poured a small amount of tea into my cup, checking the taste, before serving it. I set the tea pot down on the table, after handing Levi his cup. He nodded in gratitude, watching the steam slowly rising upward.

I was finally about to sit down next to Levi, hoping to catch up a bit, when I froze.  I looked over at the package of tea leaves sitting on the counter. I knew I had recognized them; but from where had just now hit me. Panic-stricken, I snapped back towards Levi as he was lifting his cup to his lips. I cried out in horror as I smacked the cup out of his hand, just as he was about to take his first sip. Levi's eyes widened; he whipped around and grabbed my wrist in anger, appalled by my actions, until he realized why.

"Levi..." I sputtered, stumbling to the ground. 

Levi caught me mid-fall and began shouting whoever's name came to mind first.  My body began convulsing, as I rapidly became more and more pale.  I tried to gesture at the tea leaves, but could barely mutter a few weak words.